Registration plate transfer to new car and insurance

sdenny

OK,

So my dealer phoned me last Thursday to tell me me Octavia vRS had at long last. I wanted to transfer my private plate to the new (unregistered) car. Easy I thought.....

However, I rang Aviva and seem to have completely confused them (and me). Basically i have ended up with the insurance policy transfering to the new car on a certain date, but becuase the garage cannot guarantee that the DVLA will have registered it by that date, the old car is a temporary car on the policy. All ok up to this point.

BUT, Aviva will not let me leave the old car registration on the insurance for the old car. They say (which seems reasonable) that you can't have 2 cars with the same reg, so the new car insurance has my reg and the old car is currently noted on the policy as TBA for the reg.

So If the reg transfer is not completed on that date, the old car is uninsured as it has no reg. If the transfer is completed before that date, then I could get a new number for the old car, and ring up Aviva and tell them the new plate, but I now have no way of getting plates for the car as i have no v5.

In short, I can't actually think of a way in which I can legally drive the old car once that date I transfered the insurance to the new car has passed.

Apparently the 7 day Skoda insurance cannot be used for plate transfers, before any body mentions it.

I can't be the first person to do this - what have other people done?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Tell the insurers what the previous reg was for your existing car, and get them to add that to the policy?

That would seem the easiest way to me. Do agree though, sorting all this sort of stuff out with the minimum of fuss and hassle isn't easy!

Cheers,

Steve

Hi I have had several cars with personal plates.

The trick is that you do not have to insure the new car on a registration number it is possible to insure the car on the VIN number - provided it has not been assigned a registration number, which it wont until DVLA get their finger out. Once you have the tax disc in your hand phone your insurance company and transfer the number to the policy.

Trouble is you have to talk very slowly to some insurance companies as something out of the ordinary is not easily understood. My reasoning was, I have a new car - it has not yet got a registration number I want it insured - please register it on the VIN number. As soon as I have the tax disc and registration number I will phone you.

DVLA will accept an insurance certificate showing only a VIN number. They will also give you a new registration number for your old car of the correct age.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

I get the car on a new plate, then transfer it on to my cherished plate, your old car goes back on to its original plate , the dvla will know the original number :thumbup:

I do it this way but it seems to take an age and also tells people you've got a new car when the whole point of a private reg is to hide the fact :rofl:

A girl I once worked with took her old car with her private reg on, signed the papers and handed over the cheque and drove away with the new car and the same plate private plate (obviously) on her new one. She said it was surreal to see two cars of a similar colour with the same plate on at the garage - so it must be possible.

This is the way I did it. It all seemed to work well for me.

A several weeks before the new car arrived, I asked the DVLA to transfer my personal registration onto a retention certificate. I was given an appropriate year registration number for my old car, and as soon as I had replaced the plates and transferred the car onto the new number with the insurance company, all was well. It all went through very well and I was able to continue driving the car.

When the new car arrived, I gave the retention certificate to the dealers and they registered the new car with my personal registration number. Thery did the registration very efficiently. I took advantage of the Skoda insurance offer to cover the car for the first few days, whilst I transferred my insurance to the new car, putting the old car on a temporary insurance until I sold it.

I get the car on a new plate, then transfer it on to my cherished plate, your old car goes back on to its original plate , the dvla will know the original number :thumbup:

I'd toyed with this, but I wanted the garage to do everything for me

Tell the insurers what the previous reg was for your existing car, and get them to add that to the policy?

That would seem the easiest way to me. Do agree though, sorting all this sort of stuff out with the minimum of fuss and hassle isn't easy!

Cheers,

Steve

The private plate came off retention on to a brand new car last time, so I've never known another number for the "old" car

This is the way I did it. It all seemed to work well for me.

A several weeks before the new car arrived, I asked the DVLA to transfer my personal registration onto a retention certificate. I was given an appropriate year registration number for my old car, and as soon as I had replaced the plates and transferred the car onto the new number with the insurance company, all was well. It all went through very well and I was able to continue driving the car.

When the new car arrived, I gave the retention certificate to the dealers and they registered the new car with my personal registration number. Thery did the registration very efficiently. I took advantage of the Skoda insurance offer to cover the car for the first few days, whilst I transferred my insurance to the new car, putting the old car on a temporary insurance until I sold it.

Yes, I wish I'd done that in the first place - I've had 5 months to think about it

Hi, if you really want it the easy way, insure on the VIN number give the certificate of insurance to the garage and forget about it until you pick up your car. Phone insurance company to change reg number. Oh by the way get the garage to pay the £80 transfer fee.

It's what I do every time.

Chris.

You can do it using the 7 day cover from Skoda,

When i bought my currant Skoda, my dealer told me to phone Skoda insurance and insure the new car with my private plate and they sorted Dvla out for me, and yes you can have two cars with the same reg no. as one of them is off the road, so all you then do is pick up your new car and then phone your currant insurer and do a change of vehical. Job Done.