vrs estate high level brake light removal

Does anyone know how the high level brake light is removed from an octy vrs estate. Looks like it is set into the spoiler.

Only have two sections of the light working. Can you replace the bulbs separately or is it a sealed unit. Had a quick look couldn't see any fixings from the exterior. Do you have to remove the spoiler to get to it or is it more simple than that?

Don't want to start prodding and poking in the wrong bits.

Cheers Rich.

My guide (for the non-vrs) seems to suggest it is all done internally to start with.

I would have cut and paste the text, but for some reason it won't let me, but typed quickly the instructions are:

Removing:

- Open tailgate

- remove the top trim of the tailgate

- lever our the 3 retaining springs and the catch out of the slots in the tailgate)

- close the tailgate

- pull the complete high-level light off the tailgate

- seperate the plug connection

Installing:

- Carry out installation in the same way in the reverse order (what poor english!)

(have also PM'd you more details)

Edited by mbames

Does anyone know how the high level brake light is removed from an octy vrs estate. Looks like it is set into the spoiler.

Only have two sections of the light working. Can you replace the bulbs separately or is it a sealed unit. Had a quick look couldn't see any fixings from the exterior. Do you have to remove the spoiler to get to it or is it more simple than that?

Don't want to start prodding and poking in the wrong bits.

Cheers Rich.

Just rip it off. It’s glued/epoy’d in. Run a blade along the top of the light (between the spoiler and light) and then use a flat head screwdriver to prise it off. Once a corner is off I used a long piece of steel and prised it off until you can get your fingers in. If you pull the middle trim off behind the spoiler (inside the boot lid) there is a connection for the light to disconnect. I tied a piece of string to the end so when i pulled it out the string comes through the other end. Then tie the new one to the string and back through.

If your Circuit board is in tact then you could replace the LED's but you'll find the plastic is brittle and to open it up you damage it.

I'm on to my 2nd one in 3 years! They are sh*te. Supposed to be sealed but they leak. The latest one I fitted in Sep 2008 has just went last week. I am not replacing this one at £60. I'm gunna stick a non vRS estate one in the window.