New Tyres

ctiltman

I have just been quoted on some new tyres, I'm on a budget and running an SDI with the standard elegance alloys 185 60 r14.

Does anyone have any experience of the brand Sava? I understand they are part of the Goodyear stable....

I trust the guy who has recommended them as a budget tyre, just wondered what your opinions would be?

Chris

The MX5 I bought had these on and they were lethal. But maybe that's just me, what I expect of a tyre, plus RWD.

Might be OK on an SDI. Still wouldn't recommend them though.

Without sounding too Victor Meldrew, but they are called "Budget" for a reason.

Bear in mind that the tyres are the only point of contact with the road that you have.

Is it therefore worth the risk of "potentially" compromising on performance over cost? Especially when there

are branded products out there with proven quality for not a huge amount more money.

Obviously it's your decision.

Edited by dwappat

Thanks appreciate your opinions. To be honest, I think it will be an improvement over what i have at the moment - 2 barely legal tigar's on the front, and then 2 on the back (not sure of the brands) but they are not a pair and one has a directional pattern so the car seems to wander a farr bit at speed which is actually quite dangerous! Well i say speed, but there is only so much speed you can get in an SDI!

How much are they? It might not be that much of a step up to some more reputed brands, like Falken 912's or something. (Not saying they're brilliant, but I quite liked them, a bit wheel spin happy in the wet, but otherwise fine.)

http://www.tyretrade...ll&tyreType=All

http://www.tyretrade...8560R1482HZE912

Or some decent Toyos. . .

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyreInformation.aspx?ItemID=TOY18560R1482HCF1

For the sake of £2 (£8 per car) it's a no brainer IMO!

Edited by TriggerFish

Fair enough - I got these delivered straight to the garage (of my choice), turned up with my car and got the tyres fitted and left again within a few minutes. Nice and simple, all paid for online too. :thumbup:

Might be worth seeing what he's charging for some of the slightly better brands though? If it's only a tenner more for 4. . .

Until recently as much as i`m sure others will slate me, i`v always bought the cheapest tyres in stock, and stuck em on. However, i`v now started using better tyres, and even just going from "no name" to falken/firestone budget tyres will make a massive difference to the drive and grip. If its only a extra £10 for a set of for or so, i`d go for the better ones

matt

I used Sava and Debrica on my old Metro, but I didn't have much choice in that size (135 x 12). They were both awful in the wet. I can remember getting understeer @ 45 mph on a long very wet corner (I think using Debricas). On the plus side I could buy 2 or even 3 for £50. The best tyres I had were Colway remoulds, however they have gone bust so you can't buy them anymore.

I would suggest these Vredestein Hi-Trac - 185/60R14 82H TL - Camskill

They are £39.01 inc.VAT each plus postage and approx £10 for fitting. So it will work out to be about £100 a pair. :thumbup: