Fan Control Unit - Faulty

Hi

Just had my car serviced and happen to mention to them that when using the air con that the radiator fans seem to cut in and out a lot - even when only just turning on the AC. Turns out that I have a faulty fan control unit. They have suggested that I need a new fan control unit and also the fans on the radiator to be replaced.

I have a 2005 Octy 2 litre TDi 140BHP (Engine Code BKD)

1) Do I really need to replace the module and the fans?

2) When is the fan control module/unit on my car - my workshop manual shows a picture of the module but not where it is!!

Any help and or photos really appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I just had a look at the circuit diagram for your car and the FCU (J293) connects to the main loom via connector T4 and connects to the radiator fan via connector T2. It earths via an earth point on the left front chassis member. The locations of these connectors are:

T2f - 2-pin connector, in the holder on the radiator

T4p - 4-pin connector, in the holder on the left radiator

I think all of this means that the FCU must be mounted on, or close to, the radiator and not too far from the fan.

HTH

Thanks for the info - I am quessing that the solution may be a new pair of fans with the built in components!! - seeing as they share the housing. Price I have so far is circa £200. Will I have to reset any fault codes or will the ECu recognies that the fault has gone with the new parts?

Thanks

• 8 years later...