Random Knocks, bangs, rattles

Just thought I'd update you

After what seems like years of funny noises I have finally cured most issues on my shed ....er I mean car

I did a deal with Billy to take his old standard low mileage shocks and springs off him. Mine had currently done about 110k by this poiint

I fitted the fronts myself as they were complete withs top mounts back in september this made the front end feel nice and tight overall.

Some of you may remember that one of my rear springs snapped just before Xmas, before this I had a rather bad knock under hard acceleration.

This knock sounded like it was coming from the front end to the point where I could feel it through the pedals.

At around the time of that snow we had the knock suddenly dissapeared, So I got the broke spring changed just after xmas as I using the wifes old car in the snow as it was ready to be binned and fairplay it was better than most 4x4's lol

Last week I got round to getting the rest of the suspension inc new rear bump stops fitted along with a timing belt, brake fluid and new pads up front.

OMG I don't ever remember my car feeling so good, once the newish rears went on its like a different car, hardly any rattles fro the boot area now, and the myterious front end knock completely gone.

One mate reckons driving in snow cures all sort of problems lol, mind I did give my car a bit of kicking here and there due to getting stuck in snow once or twice so maybe he's right. Could be coincidence that the spring snapped around the same time as the knock cured it's self. Not 100% when the spring snapped as I found it on my drive.

So all in all I'm back up to scratch now, theres life in the old dog yet :giggle:

Now if I could just get around to changing the steering colum I'd be a very happy man ;)

fair play mate mine is coming up to 160k and i have a few bangs and stuff now and again so i bought new bottom arms top mounts drop links sterring arms front arb bushes just need to get the back lot now and fit it all lol

fair play mate mine is coming up to 160k and i have a few bangs and stuff now and again so i bought new bottom arms top mounts drop links sterring arms front arb bushes just need to get the back lot now and fit it all lol

I've spaent silly money on all sorts of arms, bushes, links over the years trying pin various noises, seems like all that was needed was new shocks and springs.

Live and learn :D

glad to help out mate, lol

Ill let you know about the steering column mate, should have one avail for you. how many that been lol?

Oh and not got things off yet mate, J was at docs today so couldnt pic up stuff from him till lunch. Making a nice base on wheels forthe engine to rest on. :thumbup:

glad to help out mate, lol

Ill let you know about the steering column mate, should have one avail for you. how many that been lol?

Oh and not got things off yet mate, J was at docs today so couldnt pic up stuff from him till lunch. Making a nice base on wheels forthe engine to rest on. :thumbup:

Top man

If you need a hand with anything let me know, I may able to squeeze you in lol

lol cheers Dave, Ive sorted most of it, just the finishing touches next and the rear beam to come off. Going to bed not ##w for a few hr as I was up till 0230 getting the engine and gearbox out for chris to do today, ended up borrowing a tool off him to get the clutch and fly off lol. they are doing the car now lol.

I hace that column too but How do you get the lock out? I cant seem to get it out?

its still the original one from 2001. I think its the steering rack that makes it rattle not the column itself? ne way I wont be putting one on mine unless its neccesary lol, it was a pig to get out, shed load of wires all over.