standard console bushes fit

bugman

hi seen diy howto fit cupra bushes ,very good but how about fitting standard skoda bushes? i been told they just tap into place because they in a plastic sleeve.no special washer tool needed,making the job alot easier, can any one tell me is this true?

It's not strictly true no.

Standard bushes are actually harder to fit as the plastic collar splits if the console isn't clean enough or the bush isn't inserted square. Also hitting them will destroy them long before they are in.

ok i see , buuuuuuutt is it possible

• 1 month later...

hi seen diy howto fit cupra bushes ,very good but how about fitting standard skoda bushes? i been told they just tap into place because they in a plastic sleeve.no special washer tool needed,making the job alot easier, can any one tell me is this true?

Hi, look on Powerflex website as they now do a full replacement console bush which is a two piece job and much easier to fit than the Skoda, and will last longer and provide better wheel aligment. Downside... costs more! Worth it in long run though!!

How much is a Powerflex bush?

Remember you could just buy a new seat ibiza cupra console. Dont have to worry about fitting one at all then. Think I paid around £60 for a new fabia console with the standard bush. Cant see the Ibiza one being much different. But saying that you would have to double it doh! So powerflex would be alot cheaper.

Edited by faboka vrs

I have just fitted one side of my 2001 TDI Estate with standard nylon cased bush (other side next week). Not too bad a job but the 'draw tool' is essential. I used the tool to pull out the old bush (undamaged) using assorted spacers. The new bush pulled in OK but keep checking it is 'square' to the housing.

The bushes were cheaper from Skoda dealer that 2 local motor factors.

As a lube for the hex spigot I used KY Jelly - don't ask!!! And to pull it in I used an old poly-V 'fan belt and a bar as a turnique.

I have just fitted one side of my 2001 TDI Estate with standard nylon cased bush (other side next week). Not too bad a job but the 'draw tool' is essential. I used the tool to pull out the old bush (undamaged) using assorted spacers. The new bush pulled in OK but keep checking it is 'square' to the housing.

The bushes were cheaper from Skoda dealer that 2 local motor factors.

As a lube for the hex spigot I used KY Jelly - don't ask!!! And to pull it in I used an old poly-V 'fan belt and a bar as a turnique.

Did the NS today took ~2 hrs + 1 hr for lunch. When pulling the wishbone spigot into he new bush I found that once it was in ~ halfway I applied lots of load on the turnique, locked off the tensioning/twisting bar and left it (whilst I had lunch). On return to the job the spigot was almost home all on it's own). The final bit was by putting a mini-crowbar under the turnique belt where it went round the fwd end of the wishbone and levered - ie putting more rearward force to push the last bit home.

For the 12mm threaded rod for the pulling tool I just used B&Q studding but the threads were pretty worn after both sides were done - even the standard nylon sheathed bushes take a fair amount of force to get them in.

The reason I was prompted to do the job was a slight 'clunk' when braking in reverse/fwd manoeuvring - on fitting new F tyres the tyre fitter pointed out the 'problem'. He was WRONG the clunk is still there - but the old bushes were pretty knackered!

Edited by hjg