Downpipe questions...

Hello!

So I've found a downpipe/decat for (I assume) the front cat on eBay, (£79) my questions are these:

Will the car pass the MOT with this fitted? rough estimate of time needed (labour cost) to fit one?

It includes bungs for the necessary sensors, and states a warning light will come on because of the absence of a cat. I take it this just needs a reset or will it keep re-appearing?

Thanks! :thumbup:

Believe itll throw the light up & will fail the MOT.

To be honest it might be better spending your cash on a remap as the proper downpipe/sports cats are £400+

Agreed, although I don't think this is a decat in the sense you are thinking, I know the 200 cell sports cats are mega bucks this is just one straight pipe and then another with a flexy

joint on it and the bungs for the sensors.

If i wasn't on the work internet I'd put the eBay link up!!! :giggle:

I'm after a decent soundtrack for the exhaust note, and from what i've read a cat back system won't do much in that respect; I don't want to spend loads on that anyway, Just thought

this maybe a cheaper option with the bonus of improving the performance/air flow.

I'm making my own at the time(started today). It's a bitch becouse my octy is at home and I'm making/welding it at work. Just was thinking how much easier it would be if I just had bought a cheap ebay downpipe and welded cat to that. :giggle:

Price to my DIY-downpipe with cat will be something like 120£ (10£ For flange seal, 20£ for flex, 90£ for cat) and many work hours

Edit: And still I can not be sure will it pass MOT. They're quite tight in here and CAT's should have CE or TüV-markings stamped. Mine has'nt...

Edited by tuplavee

I brought my de cat downpipe off eBay and it wasn't a bad fit, just required a sleeve to fit my milltek system, when it came to mot time I had a sports cat fitted into it, you could feel a difference in poke.

I've since took the sports cat out (in the garage ready for mot time) and had a de cat pipe put in so I can swap and change when needed.

Now the de cats fitted there's a difference in both performnce and noise and I've not had a light come on for it either, if you do get a light you can either buy a spacer for the sensor or have it mapped out

what kind of size sleeve do i need to fit a de cat to a standard system ?

That'll depend on the size of the downpipe and the diameter of your system. Probably needs to be about 5-6 inch long I'd have thought

i have that down pipe not had a mot yet lol and i have no lights on

Brilliant. How much did it cost you to have it fitted or did you go the DIY route? When is your MOT due?!!

I've never welded in my life so making one myself might be slightly difficult....

Please note mate runs a garage and i also used to work at, note that diesel cars do not require a emission test only petrol cars! Diesels are done by whats called the smoke test, sometime these use a smoke meter or most or time they just look at how much black smoke the thing kicks out below is a link to have a look at, so it shouldnt fail MOT but may do on remapped cars

http://www.ukmot.com/mot_check.asp