You Must Take Delivery Within 10 Days Or Pay The Vat

Hi

A friend of mine (not me) ordered an Octavia last year under the "No VAT" scheme for delivery mid-March.

Its arrived early and he has been told he has to take it within 10 days (i.e. before March) or he will have to pay the VAT.

Is this correct?

Does anybody know what the dealer's position is?

Is it a Skoda UK issue?

I know my Yeti had to be registered within 10 days of arriving at the dealer, but (sadly) the Yeti never was subject to a VAT free offer, so I didn't enquire about this.

Thanks.

(My much loved Octavia II replaced by a Yeti)

I recently ordered a VRS estate from my local dealer but don't want it until June for various reasons. My dealer has confirmed in writing that if it is delivered before I want to collect it they will happily store it until I'm ready for it without this affecting the agreed price. So it must be possible for the dealer to wait a little longer before you collect the car.

It is worth remembering:

1. VAT is paid by the company and not by customers.

2. The deal is a Skoda discount equivalent to the prevailing VAT rate. There is no such thing as no VAT.

3. There is no legal requirement for the vehicle to be registered in a specific time. It is a Skoda policy issue that can be challenged. I challenged it and Skoda accommodated me.

4. There are previous threads on the same subject.

Regards

Be careful on this one.

Skoda insist that the car must be registered within 10 days of arrival at the dealer to qualify for the VAT free (discount) offer.

You don't have to take delivery within 10 days, however the car will be registered to you within 10 days of arrival.

I wanted my dealer to sit on the car for a couple of weeks to get the '11' plate, as opposed to the '60' plate. (DVLA accept applications for and allocate '11' plate registrations from 15th Feb). I figured I'd simply pay the balance owed once registered and drive away on 1st March.

However, according to dealer/Skoda to avoid it being registered on a '60' would have meant my stumping up the VAT equivalent to delay registration. Wasn't worth it IMHO...

Your friend can probably argue that provided the car is registered within 10 days of arrival at the dealer and the 15th of Feb falls within that 10 day period, that so long as he accepts/pays for the car (incl. parting with any p/x motor), he can get an '11' plate on it provided the dealer is willing to babysit the car on their (secure) premises until he can drive it away on the 1st.

The car would be registered within 10 days of arrival therefore the VAT free T&C's would be met. The dealer would receive payment so they too should be happy. Your friend would just have to entrust the car to the dealer until the 1st of March. With '11' plates allocated from 15th Feb its worth a try.

Edited by Rab-k

This is what my dealer has put in writing to me "As you taking the VAT free option the car has be taxed within two

weeks" not ten days as everyone is saying.

Ten working days(for the Skoda office bods) equals two weeks then doesn't it

Ian

I had a similar problem:

My link

Probably worth noting that I originally done the deal for the car on the condition it wasn't registered until 2011 plus my car didn't actually arrive at the dealer until 21st December although it was in the UK early December.

I know my Yeti had to be registered within 10 days of arriving at the dealer, but (sadly) the Yeti never was subject to a VAT free offer, so I didn't enquire about this.

Thanks.

(My much loved Octavia II replaced by a Yeti)

I have also traded in a much loved Octy 11 for a Yeti (due mid May) and my dealer said that I would have to register it within 10 days of delivery if I wanted to avoid both the 17.5% to 20% VAT increase (I ordered it pre Jan VAT increaser) and the Skoda January price increase. I am sure this is not a legal requirement but some sort of rule applied by Skoda for reasons I do not know. This doesn't bother me except that it could be delivered when I am away on holiday making the 10 days difficult. I mentioned this to the dealer who said that problem could be overcome.