Revs won't go above idle

Hey guys,

I bought my Octavia a couple weeks ago and yesterday I had a bit of a breakdown. Having driven for about an hour I went to pull off from traffic lights and my revs wouldn't rise above idle. I pulled in, turned off car but problem persists. On start up car will idle for a few seconds then revs will rise to about 1100 rpm. Accelerator has no effect whatsoever and if car is left running for about a minute and a half the heat coil light will start flashing.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Thanks for the suggestions guys, had the clutch pedal and master cylinder out at the weekend so might have knocked something loose in the process, I'll check it out

Check the brake pedal switch too. You can't rev the engine if the brake pedal is depressed. Are the brake lights on all the time?

Check the brake pedal switch too. You can't rev the engine if the brake pedal is depressed. Are the brake lights on all the time?

Good thought with the glowplug light coming on. I'd missed that, but brake pedal switches usually fail open.

Good thought with the glowplug light coming on. I'd missed that, but brake pedal switches usually fail open.

Mine sticks on and it revs fine, might try reving it tomorrow with the pedal depressed, don't think the brake switch stops it reving

Turned out to be the tps alright, thanks! There was water in the connector from a leak, contact cleaner sorted it until i sort out the leak. Could anyone point me in the direction of the glowplug fuse? The live feed wire is bare and must have shorted, slow starting but when i brought direct live to the wire it started perfect so im presuming the fuse must be blown?