'53 plate Octavia - weird temperature gauge last night

Purple13

Hi

One week into my Octavia experience and driving home.

I'd been queueing in the usual evening snarl and just got on the open road when I noticed the temp gauge (which usually sits at 12 oclock - midway) swing back towards cold then swing back to the half way mark (normal running).

It did this a couple of times and then settled at normal running position temp.

Has'nt done it since - the only abnomally was a gurgling sound (sounded like it was coming from behind dash) the other day.

Water levels ok and no damp footwells.

Any ideas?

Jonathan

I would say it would be your coolant temp sender or whatever they are called, mine does this very occasionally havent got round to changeing it yet. Think they are 25quid from the dealer remember to get the rubber o ring aswell.

How quick was the swing back and forth?

If it was fast then it's probably a coolant temp sensor issue, if it was very slow then you may have a dippy thermostat.

An error code scan would pick up the CTS fault, but wouldn't pick up on the 'stat.

CTS is a very common problem, and only takes 5mins to change. Can't remember how much they cost, probably about £20-30.

Thermostat costs about the same, but will take you about 30mins to an hour to change properly.

I changed my 'stat on Saturday to fix an issue with the engine cooling too much whenever I went down a hill or came off the throttle (thermostat took too long to close). But yours sounds more like the CTS to me...

Thanks guys for your quick responses - I'll monitor it over the next few days.

It's still within its 30 day warranty period - do you think the garage would / should change it under the warranty?

Cheers

Jonathan