Volunteering?

2SkodaFamily

So Mr Cameron says we all ought to volunteer.....

As someone who was a Special Constable for nearly 10 years, as well as other voluntary endeavours, I've yet to have an experience that didn't result in people who were paid to work in the same organisations completely taking the pistol........ :thumbdown:

Anyone got any positive experiences, or is it really just a one-way street to frustration? :wall:

Spent five years in Cumbria as Special COnstable in 1980's- doing nightshifts and getting involved with same shift help get respect, but understood regulars felt we were cheap alternative to their overtime

Yes, I found that too. Once I found a shift I liked working with I worked around their shift pattern, and usually crewed up with the same PC. Funny guy he was, wiry little bloke but hard as fook. Would take on (and win) people twice his size. Ex army, but you'd never know it. Used to run to work, about 10 miles each way. Barmy!

I found that I got frustrated with not being able to spend enough time to really get good at stuff and get my teeth into it, so for example I never got to do a file. Shame I cos I got the feeling that I would have been treated as a regular if I could do my share of stuff other than being a warm body in the passenger seat.

The problem I've found with volunteering is that the structure isn't there like when you're in paid employment. Its either fellow volunteers who take the pi$$ or the paid staff. For example, how many Specials did you know who virtually never came on duty, but liked to wave a warrant card in people's faces when it suited them? Or said they were coming but then didn't turn up, leaving you high and dry and short on numbers?

I've had other experiences which have gone the same way. In fact I CAN think of a positive one..... I used to do some teaching for people with mental health difficulties. Yeah I know....that's cos I fitted right in! :rofl:

Their trying out Yellow Pack cops over here now. To be honest when I see the people they have taken on so far it's a joke.Their mainly aged between 55-70 and are either deaf ,dumb or bothered.The younger people won't join because they know that people will extract the urine and won't take them seriously on the street.

And yes most people, not only the paid cops think that they are there to cut down on the OT bill

Edited by Dina

I totally respect volunteers they are a credit to everyone and themselves and deserve more respect.But on the other hand if there is a need for volunteers then obviously there is a job to do.I don't like where this policy is going or where it will end.How about we have volunteer MP's.That would not happen though would it.

I totally respect volunteers they are a credit to everyone and themselves and deserve more respect.But on the other hand if there is a need for volunteers then obviously there is a job to do.I don't like where this policy is going or where it will end.How about we have volunteer MP's.That would not happen though would it.

There will always be a need for volunteers because society can never afford to cover every eventuallity.

Just imagine how many Ambulance crews would be needed to cover all the jobs that St John do, or in our case, how many 4x4's and fully trained drivers would be needed just to take District Nurses on their rounds when we have heavy snow, and that is just a very small part of our "work".

Just this year our bit of 4x4 RW transported District Nurses, Ambulance Crews, Meals on Wheels, Care Workers, Police, important hospital staff, and Cancer Care workers.