Felicia 1.9d speedo drive problem

Right , I have a real problem.

Whilst checking the gearbox oil I think the speedo drive has fallen into the gearbox as I can't find it! Also it's suddenly impossible to engage first gear!

Obviously these issues are connected but how big a job is it going to be to sort out?

The car is 1997 model so not worth a great deal.

So....

Can the job be done without taking the box out or do I have to bite the bullet and drop the box? No garage so it would have to be done on the drive with ramps.

Edited by thewatchmaker

not too bad a job tbh, i could probably do it inside an hour.

Goodness!

I notice in the 'Haynes bible' it says no need to remove drive shafts from the hubs, how can this be?

I was planning on taking both off at the hub end after removing track rod ends and ball joints. am I making more work than needed?

yes the speedo drive will be stuck inside the change linkage at the bottom of the box now.. your not the first tho :dull:

no need to remove the hub nuts or track rod ends but you will need to remove the ball joint from the wishbone both sides. the ns shaft will go nicely out the way up under the wing (put a bag over the inner cv joint to keep the splines clean)

a couple of hard to get at nuts on the bell housing and remember that the spacer plate comes off with the gearbox.ou will prob need to remove the end cover off the box with the mount on to allow enough space to get it off the engine...

oh y

yes the haynes manual is correct to a certain extent.. if you are changing the box for another one you are better off leaving them in the hubs and just cracking the balljoint off pulling them to one side.. however if you are just changing the clutch i would leave them in the gearbox and detach them from the hub because it saves having to drain and refill the gearbox oil.

yes the haynes manual is correct to a certain extent.. if you are changing the box for another one you are better off leaving them in the hubs and just cracking the balljoint off pulling them to one side.. however if you are just changing the clutch i would leave them in the gearbox and detach them from the hub because it saves having to drain and refill the gearbox oil.

I am hoping that if I turn box on it's side after removing I can get the speedo drive back out of the hole!

probably be a waste of time but I am selling the car once it's fixed so not keen on spending too much cash on it.

Box was great up until this idiot mistake!

doubt you will get the speedo drive back out without opening the box up, I would even put money on it in fact (and I'm tight apperantly!).. they get wedged under the linkage and jammed when you try to change gear

doubt you will get the speedo drive back out without opening the box up, I would even put money on it in fact (and I'm tight apperantly!).. they get wedged under the linkage and jammed when you try to change gear

Right, looks like I am in for a long job then.

Up here in north Wales scrapyards are few and far between and since the price of steel has been going up few have much stock.

So it looks like I will have to split it and take a look inside.

Right, looks like I am in for a long job then.

Up here in north Wales scrapyards are few and far between and since the price of steel has been going up few have much stock.

So it looks like I will have to split it and take a look inside.

Update.

Got the box out and split it to find the speedo drive gear wedged as rightly said by felicia 16v.

Looks straight forward enough to put together although the light was fading tonight so will finish tomorrow.

However When I removed the end cover to drop the box out I found a small 8mm x3mm (approx) metal key .

Any idea what it's for or where it's from?

I can post an image if it would help.

its out of 5th gear syncro hub mate. have a look carefully at the hub and you should see the other 2 still there hopefully

Edited by felicia16v

its out of 5th gear syncro hub mate. have a look carefully at the hub and you should see the other 2 still there hopefully

Bit worrying that it should just fall out, or have I bent one of the lugs perhaps when lowering the box?

Will have a butchers tomorrow.