Summer Tyres vs Winter Tyres

rockhopper

Having had to deal with the severe injuries to someone in the back of a car who was hit by a heavy unsecured item in the boot, forcing the backrest forward, I hope that your wheel and tyre is VERY securely mounted.

Have a guess how much it weighs, then multiply that by 10? Because that is the force that can be generated, and why wheels are bolted to the floor, not strapped to a plastic bar.

The back seats of my car are generally unoccupied. Take a wild guess why the seatbelts are normally deployed, with the RHR buckle in the LHR calsp and vice versa!

Having had to deal with the severe injuries to someone in the back of a car who was hit by a heavy unsecured item in the boot, forcing the backrest forward, I hope that your wheel and tyre is VERY securely mounted.

Have a guess how much it weighs, then multiply that by 10? Because that is the force that can be generated, and why wheels are bolted to the floor, not strapped to a plastic bar.

My wheel is strapped in 2 places, to the plastic bar and also to the rear tie down point.

edit: I'm sure my old Classic Range Rover spare wheel was only held in place with a rubber band going from one side to the other, as standard.....

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

My Yeti came after the November/December snow and so too late for any winter tyres to still be in stock locally. My experience in snow was a few days in January but there haven't been many days yet above 7C. The Dunlop Sports have coped very well so I'm not sure whether I'll buy winters in the autumn or not. However, having experienced my father's Octavia with winters I would definitely get them if I didn't have 4x4.

In all my years of driving (which are many) I have never bought or run on "winter" tyres.

Over those years, how have tyres changed? Has the technology, (construction, materials), changed? If so, to what benefit and under what circumstances are the benefits realised? Have tyre sizes changed in any way? Tread patterns?

Obligatory off topic comment: I looked up tyre sizes for early TVR wedges - 205/60VR14!

Over those years, how have tyres changed? Has the technology, (construction, materials), changed? If so, to what benefit and under what circumstances are the benefits realised? Have tyre sizes changed in any way? Tread patterns?

Obligatory off topic comment: I looked up tyre sizes for early TVR wedges - 205/60VR14!

Crossplies have become unavailable (and not before time; their only advantage over radials by the mid-1970s was lower cost. They had less grip, higher rolling resistance, and lower mileage lives).

Confining further comments to radials, compounds and tread patterns will have changed, generally for the better. The underlying construction may or may not have changed, but you'll need a proper tyre engineer to comment knowledgably on that.

Ref the o/t pre-facelift Octy mk1 TDi110s came with 195/65R15Vs, and post facelight they have 205/55R16Ws (the same as mk1 vRS Estates).

When my Yeti arrives ( God knows ) I will be geting a set of winter tyres as have found them indispensable the last couple of winters here. But it is a faff getting the tyres swopped round every year (or buying an extra set of rims) so was thinking about some 'All Season'tyres - any thoughts /experience. Saw an ad for some - cannot recall maker- and thought'hmmmm'....

When my Yeti arrives ( God knows ) I will be geting a set of winter tyres as have found them indispensable the last couple of winters here. But it is a faff getting the tyres swopped round every year (or buying an extra set of rims) so was thinking about some 'All Season'tyres - any thoughts /experience. Saw an ad for some - cannot recall maker- and thought'hmmmm'....

If your Monsters on 225/50 R17 wheels the you only have to real options;

Goodyear Vector 4season, which carries the winter snowflake symbol and has a reasonable snow capability.

Nokian eNtyre, more a cold wet weather all season tyre.

Have a look at the Tyre guide for info and suggestions.

Regards,

TP

In all my years of driving (which are many) I have never bought or run on "winter" tyres. Even in my TVR days I just got on with it.

I will probably be replacing the Yeti tyres soon and I don't know what to aim for. New Goodyears (to replace the existing ones) or something more all weather.

Just being nosey but how far East do you have to travel to "man" a diversionary" route around Brum. I visualised you being the guardian of the Mid Wales line.

Sir,

The word in English I do not know, but here in Bayern we have big snow, all folk have winter tyres by law and you are very "analphabetisch", all drive cars have small advantage without these tyre.s

Good day.

Sir,

The word in English I do not know, but here in Bayern we have big snow, all folk have winter tyres by law and you are very "analphabetisch", all drive cars have small advantage without these tyre.s

Good day.

On principles, I agree with using winter tyres in winter. Having said that, there is a big difference in the climate between Bayern and South of England, Wales and Ireland.