DAB Radio - Fords start now

EdmundBlackadder

Who paid for upgrading the mobile phone network?

Paying subscribers

Who paid for upgrading the country to Broadband?

Paying subscribers?

It is for the greater good and someone will be able to make money from upgading the DAB system and thus someone will upgrade it.

Paid for radio service?

It is just how life and business work. I would stop fretting about this and just get on with it. It will sort itself out in due course.

:giggle: :-P

What then can make me believe that the future coverage of DAB will be any better?

Point taken, but I'm a glass half full sort of guy so it will be what it will be. So yes I'd spec an OE DAB radio for my next car for sure as long as it is an option next to also having the normal FM/AM.

Paying subscribers?

And? Again that is how business works. You want fries? That is extra. You want bigger alloy wheels? That is extra. You want DAB coverage in the mountains? That is extra and you will have to pay for it. Really not an amazing surprise to anyone that has a basic grasp of Business101.

Paying for perfect coverage. It is an interesting thought. In the past that would have been scoffed at but then look at what people will pay Sky for. Sport:more money, films:more money, HD:£10 extra per month, Multi room: £10 extra per month. You can pay £60-£70 per month for the full package with all the extras and there are plenty of people who do it. How much do people pay for their mobile phone contracts? £20-£30 per month would not be unusual. If you could guarantee perfect quality radio, whether through DAB or Internet connection, wherever you go for £10 per month then I would probably pay it.

My brother in law has internet access in his BMW, some sort of BMW Business package. It is disturbingly clever and very good, it ties in with his email, Bluetooth phone connection, satnav etc. I think that is about £10 per month. I thought it was a gimmick until I saw it in action and for anyone who works from a car it is very, very good. Could that hook up and give internet radio countrywide?

What then can make me believe that the future coverage of DAB will be any better?

Well in our area, the BBC multiplexer was upgraded which made a dramatic difference to those channels which it supports. Unfortunately the Digital 1 multiplexer was not, hence my Classic FM reception is unchanged - although still perfectly adequate in most areas and better than the FM signal, which itself is better than my last two houses but still requires a 3-element Yagi on the chimney to provide anything approaching hi-fi. (It was a 4-element Yagi but one of them blew off, fortunately the least important one).

The problem is that, from what I understand, the current DAB signal is hampered by potential interference with existing FM services which share the same tramsmitter infrastructure - so when FM is finally switched off, these constraints will be removed and the DAB coverage can be improved. So at the moment, we are in a rather awkward corner. But it would be wrong to say that VHF/FM provides 100% coverage, so I hope someone is brave enough to take a step forward when the time is right - given that radio is also available via satellite (Sky/Freesat) and broadband these days.

In practical terms, I am very impressed with the DAB tuner in the XF - and when coverage fails, reverting to FM often isn't much of an improvement. I haven't yet trid our Pure Highway in the Yeti - I need to get another windscreen aerial so watch this space.

Mark

Well in our area, the BBC multiplexer was upgraded which made a dramatic difference to those channels which it supports. Unfortunately the Digital 1 multiplexer was not, hence my Classic FM reception is unchanged - although still perfectly adequate in most areas and better than the FM signal, which itself is better than my last two houses but still requires a 3-element Yagi on the chimney to provide anything approaching hi-fi. (It was a 4-element Yagi but one of them blew off, fortunately the least important one).

The problem is that, from what I understand, the current DAB signal is hampered by potential interference with existing FM services which share the same tramsmitter infrastructure - so when FM is finally switched off, these constraints will be removed and the DAB coverage can be improved. So at the moment, we are in a rather awkward corner. But it would be wrong to say that VHF/FM provides 100% coverage, so I hope someone is brave enough to take a step forward when the time is right - given that radio is also available via satellite (Sky/Freesat) and broadband these days.

In practical terms, I am very impressed with the DAB tuner in the XF - and when coverage fails, reverting to FM often isn't much of an improvement. I haven't yet trid our Pure Highway in the Yeti - I need to get another windscreen aerial so watch this space.

Mark

The fundamental point is that Skoda don't even offer a DAB radio as an option. This is probablye because VAG group are keeping Skoda as the "cheap" brand with much slower uptake of new technology while leaving Audi and VW to lead with Seat just behind. I think this is evident in the engine/gearbox combinations available in Skoda's. Much slower introduction of CR diesels, very limited DSG availabilty on Yeti - why no 1.4 TSi DSG or 2 wheel drive diesel DSG's for example? The Yeti has got rave reviews while those for the Tiguan are much more muted compared with similar priced competitors. Sadly I think VAG are likely to continue this trend so many of us will be replacing our existing Skoda's with other brands; the problem for VAG is that the other brands are likely to be Kia or Hyundai etc.

And? Again that is how business works.

You're loosing me with your point, you're saying we should pay for DAB?

When most of the population doesn't know or care about the difference and the value proposition seems very low, at least to me: in exchange for lower quality sound with lesser coverage and more adverts i get a slightly wider range of stations (where there's a signal, which there doesn't appear to be much of at 70mph).

If you're looking to add a subscription element into that and still champion the DAB case, i think i'd rather look at something genuinely good like Sirius.

Although, i'd probably not miss FM if it ever did go in the year 202x or whenever it finally comes around, i'm already mostly consuming from other sources: podcasts let me choose the schedule and content of the radio; internet (currently last.fm on my iPhone via bluetooth to the stereo but could be anything really) satisfies my wish to listen to new things.

The only one i've not solved, and i go back to FM for, is news & traffic. Hard sell for me to pay a subscription for that, or even tick the at cost option on a new car.

I have a DAB radio fitted in my HGV for about 4/5 years now, sound is far superior to FM.I listen to the radio everyday all day,never listen to cd's or mp3.

In my day car(yeti when it arrives)using on commuting to work and weekends I would consider to pay £50-£75 to upgrade to DAB if it was available.

In my day vehicle if my DAB radio packed in I would pay around £150 to replace with another DAB radio because I listen to it 8+ hours per day.

I drive around the north of england and midlands and very rarely have reception problems.

My daily listening is- BBC Radio Sheffield,BBC 5 live,BBC World Service,BBC 7,Radio 2,Heart and some Planet Rock all in superior DAB sound.

You're loosing me with your point, you're saying we should pay for DAB?

No. You are right. No-one would pay for that. My point is more that businesses will pay to get the platform working just as much as they paid to get FM off the ground. You are also right that it should be a no cost option.

I have a DAB radio fitted in my HGV for about 4/5 years now, sound is far superior to FM.I listen to the radio everyday all day,never listen to cd's or mp3.

In my day car(yeti when it arrives)using on commuting to work and weekends I would consider to pay £50-£75 to upgrade to DAB if it was available.

In my day vehicle if my DAB radio packed in I would pay around £150 to replace with another DAB radio because I listen to it 8+ hours per day.

I drive around the north of england and midlands and very rarely have reception problems.

My daily listening is- BBC Radio Sheffield,BBC 5 live,BBC World Service,BBC 7,Radio 2,Heart and some Planet Rock all in superior DAB sound.

Great to hear positive news about the reception.

Hello all,

adding my bit to the DAB debate.

I have DAB fitted to my Ford Mondeo as standard - 58 Plate.

I cover in excess of 35000 business miles a year across the country and I have personally found DAB radio a great feature I listen to a variety of stations - Absolute, Absolute Classic Rock, Radio 5 & Planet Rock as examples.

I have found various stretches on the motorway network where reception is not available although only for a short period.

My present car is to be renewal and the company I work for have mainly gone for cars from the VAG group and Toyota - Prius.

I note the Passat has DAB as standard on SE spec and above. Toyota quote an eye watering £450 (Approx - dealer fit option), Audi charge £320 (approx - factory fitted).

I can have a Superb, Yeti or Octavia but all do not offer no DAB as an option.

I contacted Skoda UK and was informed that 'DAB IS available as an option when a Sat Nav is fitted, contact your local dealer'.

Since I could get a Superb in Elegance specification I thought this would be a solution. I went to my local Skoda dealer and explained what I had been told by Skoda UK, the salesman assured me that DAB radio is NOT an option at the present time an he had not heard or had any documentation stating anything different. He did say that dealers were putting pressure on Skoda to offer DAB on their vehicles since customers were asking for it. I have again contacted Skoda on the subject and I am awaiting a response after almost 2 weeks.

I hope that Ford's decision to fit DAB across the range will push other manufacturers to follow their example.

In the meantime for me personally I will reluctantly not choose Skoda as my next company car.

I contacted Skoda UK and was informed that 'DAB IS available as an option when a Sat Nav is fitted, contact your local dealer'.

I have a brand new Yeti Elegance with Columbus SatNav - is this really true???? I know the same (RNS510) unit in a VW offers DAB but when I checked with Skoda four months ago I was told categorically that I cannot have DAB and there is no plans to offer it. I would happily pay for this feature to be added!!!

I have a brand new Yeti Elegance with Columbus SatNav - is this really true???? I know the same (RNS510) unit in a VW offers DAB but when I checked with Skoda four months ago I was told categorically that I cannot have DAB and there is no plans to offer it. I would happily pay for this feature to be added!!!

Hello,

as in my previous post Skoda UK informed me that DAB IS available if Sat Nav is fitted to the car whether as a factory fit or dealer fit, Skoda UK did not say. Only to contact my local dealer.

However upon contacting my local dealer he stated that DAB was not available on ANY Skoda with ANY combination of Radio / Sat Nav.

I went back to Skoda UK informing them of my conversation with the dealer which appeared to contradict the information I was given by themselves (Skoda UK) this was almost 2 weeks ago and I still await a response.

DAB radio may be an insignificance to some but for me and amount of driving I do I have found it to be something which I would dearly miss if my next car did not have it available either as standard or an option - it would seem to be a step backwards.

I would gladly pay for DAB at a reasonable cost to myself - being a company car driver.