Occasional noise from steering

Hi Folks

I've noticed occasionally there is a groan/creak type noise from the steering wheel/column when giving some left after some right, ie coming off a round-a-bout.

I can't feel anything in the steering, ie not rough, no binding, no play.

It sounds almost plastic creaking type noise. I've played with the height adjuster, make sure it wasn't loose or something stupid.

Any ideas? It seems more likely to happen the more "enthusiastic" you are in your drive.

Tom

Edited by tomsimmons

Make sure your PAS fluid isn't low.

Does it only make the noise when the steering wheel is moving?

If so, take a look at the u-joint, where the column meets the floor.

Yep, only when you turn the wheel, only when you turn it left, only aware of it when steering left rather than straightening up from a right, only occasionally and only when driving hardish.

Tom

could be the ARB bush mate. Does the noise happen when you go over bumps or when you rock the car by hand?

Haven't noticed it on bumps and there's not shortage of them round here! I'll try rocking the car at lunch time.

To be honest it does rather sound like the noise is within the cabin.

Tom

best to take it to a garage to sort it as you can set off the air bag when fiddling with it as this runs the electic cable from the steering column to the airbag sits arround the column, i have this noise on mine for ages sounds almost like a zip sort of noise from the steering wheel nothing to worry about

i have the same noise from mine, and it does'nt appear to be anything obvious.

i'm going to wait and see if it gets worse and it may become more apparent.

if it does'nt get any worse then, cest la vie, live with it.

by the way happy paddys day to everybody