Knocking noise. VRS

Pulled up tonyt, went to turn the headlights off etc, and moved the steering wheel. felted and heard a little knock.

so i wiggled the steering wheel on the little bit of slack youve got and each side it would give a little knock, (and what sounded like a little squeak but this could just be tyres)

Havent been doing anything heavy steering wise, just did a 0-60 time or 2..with the new CAI on

Did one with traction control on and it did a big cut of power to the wheels cus i gave it too much, but theres been no warning light.

others were with TC off and minimal wheel spin (for a good time).

What you guys reckon?

I think if it was driveshafts it would be on accelerating and braking at low speeds correct?

ARB bushes?

hope its not the steering rack.

This is what i dont get, i did NO stupid turns, slides anything, infact my cornering was very mild as dont want to take the edges of the back tyres if i can help it cus one day theyve got to go onto the front.

:S strange

Edited by Milkybadger

Steering tie-rods or trackrod ends could be the culprits. I've got play in the O/S tie arm in the joint that meets the rack, so I'm replacing it with a new trackrod end soon. It makes a similar noise to yours. If you jack the wheel up and can't feel any play top-to-bottom but can feel it side-to-side it would point to the same problem.

Steering tie-rods or trackrod ends could be the culprits. I've got play in the O/S tie arm in the joint that meets the rack, so I'm replacing it with a new trackrod end soon. It makes a similar noise to yours. If you jack the wheel up and can't feel any play top-to-bottom but can feel it side-to-side it would point to the same problem.

Also could be bushes in the lower arm ,very common just did mine with poly bushes....Als was your car still running when you moved steering....if not it is perfectly normal to hear noise as the rack has no fluid being pumped through it..

I think you are worrying too much. :rofl:

If it starts to get worse or you feel any odd feedback whilst driving them start to question the problem.

To start listing out possibilities at this stage in the process is not wise and turn your confidence in driving your motor off track.

reporting problems on this site and you are bound to get us pesimistics folks launch into a barage of possibilities :giggle:

Im going to take the airbag out and tighten the steering wheel etc...

If you put your hand ontop of the black cover ontop of the steering rack between the wheel and the IP pack you can feel it a bit through there

Yes the vehicle was running but stood still.