Grinding noise and not Pulling in 2nd gear and above.

Hello All, I hope someone out there recognizes my description of the problem I have with my MK1 Octavia 1.9 TD1 110. It stopped on me and had to have it towed to a garage. Pulled up on the M50 to garb something from the boot. Started to pull away 1st gear was fine put it into 2nd where it promptly made a horrendous grinding noise and stopped pulling. The car works in reverse and first gear but no other gear. The AA described the fault as the gearbox. I explained the problem to the Gearbox chap and he seemed to agree with the AA chap, however once the gearbox was stripped it turned out to be relatively fine, needed a few new bits but to major issues.

Has anyone come across this before?

Regards

Tariq

Did they check the dif whilst they where there? I know if the diff went it would be all gears but you never know.

The Car is back and working lovely, fortunately the garage owner is a friend, used to be an IT bod, found out he perferred racing minis and rebuilding cars, he spent lots of time and gave it some TLC. Great for me he did as it turned out that the car previously had the Dual Mass Flywheel changed,the car was converted from a DMF to a standard clutch. But in this instance the flywheel packed up and took out the clutch and part of the gearbox.

So I now have a DMF, a new clutch and a repaired gearbox. so in the space of six weeks I have had a complete exhaust, a new DMF and clutch and a repaired gearbox, next up, upgrade the brakes and have the engine rebuilt.

Anyone know of a rich widow????

The Car is back and working lovely, fortunately the garage owner is a friend, used to be an IT bod, found out he perferred racing minis and rebuilding cars, he spent lots of time and gave it some TLC. Great for me he did as it turned out that the car previously had the Dual Mass Flywheel changed,the car was converted from a DMF to a standard clutch. But in this instance the flywheel packed up and took out the clutch and part of the gearbox.

So I now have a DMF, a new clutch and a repaired gearbox. so in the space of six weeks I have had a complete exhaust, a new DMF and clutch and a repaired gearbox, next up, upgrade the brakes and have the engine rebuilt.

Anyone know of a rich widow????

Ashley Cross, Saturday night, go find yourself a rich cougar, son!