Clarkson was right! A Yeti can do a track very well

I was not a bit apprehensive about taking my pride and joy around a track but I need not have worried. What a car!!! Hardly any roll in corners, tons of grip and more than enough power to give plenty of the Fabias a run for their money. They did not overtake this Yeti easily. (Unless like some you barge through and overtake in the no overtaking area in the Esses on the last lap... See Rockhopper's video for that). The Briskoda bunch were very friendly and a great day was had.

Now I wonder what would have happend in the rain with the Yetis having 4x4 and the Fabias having too much power going to their front wheels only? :rofl: :rofl:

IMG_0102.jpg

IMGQ3836.jpg

DSCF4113.jpg

And thank you to the photographers of the above! Made my day today finding these online!

I don't think there are many cars you can have fun with both on a track and on the byways and offroady bits!

Nope. And if you look on the third picture James you will still see the mud on it from the 4x4 day out! hehehe From muddy field to track - all quite possible in the same day!

Yes, a track session in the rain would have made life much more interesting emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

But I'm happy to have had my first track experience in the dry I have to say! I was scared enough as it was! But next time rain won't bother me (too much)!

Wet trackdays are the best :)

Now to win the lottery and buy myself a proper track day car and a car trailer for the Yeti to tow it there with... awh...

Do a syndicate. Get a few of you to chuck in £1k and you'll have enough to get a decent track day toy, modifiy it for the job, and you'll have some left over to fix it when it breaks. Problems only occur when someone bins it into a corner and then you've got to work out do you split the costs of repair or does the single person whos fault it was pay for it.

MkII Golf GTi would be perfect! Or a MKI Octavia vRS.

Do a syndicate. Get a few of you to chuck in £1k and you'll have enough to get a decent track day toy, modifiy it for the job, and you'll have some left over to fix it when it breaks. Problems only occur when someone bins it into a corner and then you've got to work out do you split the costs of repair or does the single person whos fault it was pay for it.

MkII Golf GTi would be perfect! Or a MKI Octavia vRS.

Yes I like the idea of that. Here is a few ready made ones - one even comes WITH the trailer!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2686087.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2528508.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2689692.htm

Some more pics.

Queing to get one the track:

imgp7345.jpg

Cars had to be sound tested at 3500rpm. Erm DSG Yetis can only rev to 2500rpm so the men with the meters had to just accept that! :rofl: Got this sticker:

imgp7353.jpg

And some pics of the after!

Moi on a high after the ride! (Mostly due to bringing Moster back safely without a scratch!):

imgp7351.jpg

Mike and I with our racing gear:

imgp7349.jpg

April 30th will see the anniversary of me starting to used my monster as Safety Car on Aintree Circuit. It's been absolutely brilliant, the best ever for a quick exit from grass onto the circuit when I get a shout, it'll snatch broken down cars quickly back to the paddock from virtually anywhere, the only thing I won't do is pretend to be a wrecker to recover a car that's had too close an encounter with something solid.

Getting to an incident quickly is a doddle - if there is a downside, it's people not believing how quickly I'm catching them when I'm in a hurry under red flags!

Then over the winter, towing 750kg worth of kit to various rallies - it's the best tow car I've ever had - and being able to take to the scenery to find a nice safe place to sit to do flying finish or stop without being too worried about ground clearance or getting stuck has been a revelation.

It really is the best all round car - ever!!! :thumbup:

Edited by speedsport

..... not forgetting that EVO's 1.8TSI (on trackday tyres) went around the Bedford Autodrome West Circuit quicker than a couple of notable hot hatches (IIRC a Clio Cup was one). :thumbup::giggle:

Glad you guys enjoyed your day at Castle Combe. :thumbup:

I can vouch for the Yeti's being pretty quick. Only mananged to get past the white one in my mapped Fabia. It was my 1st track experiance tho!

That would be me, and it was my first track outing as wellemoticon-0136-giggle.gif. Good to hear that it is quick...mine is remapped as well emoticon-0140-rofl.gif, but much, much heavier and with no weight saving measures done emoticon-0136-giggle.gif (unlike most of the Fabia's.....)

Mike

John

totally agree!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

(your name came up on Saturday with Graham Maxwell and Steve Johnson)

I wonder if I should be worried Graham? Being mentioned by those two, I probably should!!!

Saw SJ on Sunday, his daughter was following in her Dad's footsteps by breaking Micra driveshafts on SMC stages!

I wonder if I should be worried Graham? Being mentioned by those two, I probably should!!!

Saw SJ on Sunday, his daughter was following in her Dad's footsteps by breaking Micra driveshafts on SMC stages!

Don't worry, it was GM mostly.

We were at a CSMA "do" at the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port.

I noticed Hazel retired and wondered why.