Red Lights

I recently noticed when driving at night that beside my front inteior lights there are two red lights and having looked in the handbook and on here I cant find any explanation to what purpose they serve.

Does anyone know?

Ant695

Cabin lighting to cast a nice red hue in the car at night to help you find all the buttons in the centre console area. :thumbup:

Hi Ant695,

Those lights are for ambient cabin lighting.... It's a posh feature you'd see in BMW's etc.. If they stop working or any other interior lights do, you've got water ingress. It's a well documented problem on this forum..

Best of luck,

Robbie

Robbo, another RIM failure. Page 50 of the manual: "Two LEDs are integrated in the interior lighting, which illuminates the shift lever and

the middle of the dash panel. They are switched on automatically when switching

on the parking light.

In addition, the lighting of the door handle is switched on after the ignition is

switched on when the side lights are switched on."

They are called CatVision in Skoda brochure speak. Philip

Ha ha,

RIM failure indeed..! Almost had a different type of RIM failure over the weekend (1,240 miles), when I hit a pot hole at about 50mph..! Caused a fair shudder but thankfully no 'RIM' failure... So to speak...!

Good luck on the road..

More later,

Robbie

Ha ha,

RIM failure indeed..! Almost had a different type of RIM failure over the weekend (1,240 miles), when I hit a pot hole at about 50mph..! Caused a fair shudder but thankfully no 'RIM' failure... So to speak...!

Good luck on the road..

More later,

Robbie

Is it on the 17's? I think our potholes have a bad effect on them, I've lost 3 tyres(Dunlops) to potholes in the last year but the rims seem to survive.

Yeah it's on those Ed 100 17' alloys. They're not bad looking, but the overall handling is really starting to get on my nerves. Fine (just about) on the motorways but any B road driving and it's a real handful. So much so in fact, I'm either going to change a few components (springs/shocks/wheels) or change to a different car altogether. I guess it's my own fault for not test driving enough before I bought, and believing people who recommended the car so highly. The car certainly has it's merits, but the handling is a REAL let down.

Tonight for example, I was on a dash from Connemara to Meath, and until Galway and better roads it was a real boat. I really don't want to mess with the set up of it, but I dont know if I can put up with it much longer.

Any ideas...... anyone?

Cheers,

Robbie

Yeah it's on those Ed 100 17' alloys. They're not bad looking, but the overall handling is really starting to get on my nerves. Fine (just about) on the motorways but any B road driving and it's a real handful. So much so in fact, I'm either going to change a few components (springs/shocks/wheels) or change to a different car altogether. I guess it's my own fault for not test driving enough before I bought, and believing people who recommended the car so highly. The car certainly has it's merits, but the handling is a REAL let down.

Tonight for example, I was on a dash from Connemara to Meath, and until Galway and better roads it was a real boat. I really don't want to mess with the set up of it, but I dont know if I can put up with it much longer.

Any ideas...... anyone?

Cheers,

Robbie

Yes it would not be like the Volvo you had and that road into Galway, from Cliften or the coast road?, would really show up the negatives of Superbs handling, I did Castletownbere to Tralee last week and sometimes wished I had my Golf back!!. Like Roto on here I bought the car for a specific work reason and was aware of the boat like handling but it suits my bad back so its ok for me most of the time. A good set of dampers first ??

Not the Clifden road, it was out to Carraroe. Only 26 miles from Galway but it seemed like 100..! The Volvo was much much better, not a class leader by a long shot but a lot tighter.... I too bought it for a work reason, comfort, economy, reliability etc, but didn't realise it was going to be so much like the Sealink on B roads..

Some guy's on here, including the 'Oracle', AKA Roto ( no offence to all the other very well informed members), do say the Bilstien Sport shocks are very good. They'd want to be at £87 stg a pop..! I have the NCT tomorrow and I'm half hoping they'll tell me the shocks are shot..!! Possibly a set of height adjustable coil overs might do the trick, €320 fitted...

More later,

Rob

I think its quite unreasonble to expect a Superb to be good down a fast B road, its not what the car is about.

We regularly go to see family in North Wales (160 miles each way) and our Superb is simply to best car we have ever done the journey in. Previous cars include BMW 525d, Vauxhall Omega, Saab 9-5 etc

I see the Superb as a large, comfortable, fabulously spacious, economical, reliable family car, if you want thrills buy an Evo.........

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's not that I expected it to be good, I just didn't expect it to be so bad... Maybe the shocks are actually gone, I'll find out tomorrow... And as for the Evo, I'm not a boy racer and you dont have to go to those extremes to get a decent ride on B roads. In fact I couldn't think of anything more uncomfortable for consistent long drives on Irish roads. There is a happy medium, and I hope to find it.

Cheers,

Robbie

I spend the majority of my driving time on B roads and some that are more like Z roads and I so far I have no complaints with the handling at all. At first it wouldnt always turn in as much as I would like in the corners but now I always turn the ASR off and it goes exactly where I want it to.

Ant695

I wouldn't be putting it off on a push under any circumstances but in all honesty I only turned it off the first time because I found it could be cumbersome getting up the lane at times but much easier with it off but then found that on the roads I drive most with tight twisty corners its much more manageable rather than feeling like an artic lorry.

Ant695

I just find the car responds alot more. As I drive mostly the same roads every day I have a good idea of the speed I generally approach the same corners at and with ASR on I find myself crossing over the white line as the car feels like it wont turn in any more and im dragging it around the bend but with it off it goes exactly where I want it to go and I can take the same line at the same speed as I did in any other car which I was quite surprised about after the things people had said about the superbs handling.

Ant695