My VRS tidy up project

Bazmcc

Another service, another MOT booked.

Dent in door fixed

Sill painted

I kept the rubstrips because the paint below isn't great on the drivers door one so I thought I'd better stick with what I have for now.

I have access to a headliner I can use for cloth to recover my pillars so they'll match the headliner.

The drivers door handle is giving a bit of trouble so I need to try and sort or replace it.  I've fixed it 3 times so I think it's time to finally get another one and try it.

Found someone breaking a VRS locally so I can get some of those annoying bits I've needed for ages.

Happy days.  Going to pick up parts tonight from a fabia being broke.

I might actually get it washed and take some pics soon.

Can anyone recommend decent suspension that won't break the bank?  I might just go for budget coilovers.  I think my suspension might be nearing the end of it's life so i'll replace it while it's still hanging on.

Bought some parts last night.

Air filter box bottom half (to replace my broken one)

Driver side door card

Upper intercooler pipe (the black plastic one) and the elbow into the egr (blew mine in pieces).

Headliner

Black visors and grab handles for a mate

Boot carpet

Total cost - £80

Well chuffed.  Just a couple more small bits to get now and it should be back to how it should have been.

I'm looking forward to recovering the pillars with genuine cloth the same as the headliner.

• 3 weeks later...
Right, so here's a bit of an update.

Another year MOT on the car as of yesterday.  No issues at all during the test.  Even the back brakes performed perfect!

I got the new intercooler pipe on and got all of the fittings reinforced with the old cable tie sling method.

I replaced the door card on the drivers door and the switches because the existing one was a bit grubby and the switch panel was damaged and the led surround at the door pin was broken.

Air box bottom was replaced and properly fitted.

The boot carpet has been replaced.

null_zps6738af89.jpg

And the spare headliner has been stripped down now.  I'm getting it ready to recover the pillars.  The headliner consists of 5 layers.  The top layer is the black cloth, the second layer is a layer of very fine foam which gives it the soft feel.  The 3rd layer is a light layer of fibreglass to make it hold it's shape and also stay slightly flexible.  The 4th layer is a denser foam for soundproofing, and the last layer is a thicker layer of fibreglass to keep it all together.  I was stripping off the back two layers; the dense foam and the thicker fibreglass layer.  This leaves me with a flexible but strong cloth layer with a foam backing.  Lets hope that does the job.  I'll update when I start work on it.

null_zpsad01bb22.jpg

null_zpse43ab51d.jpg

null_zps0e9db1ae.jpg

And last but not least I gave the car a bit of a clean.  I really need to get the rough bits of the front bumper tidied up though.  And I intend to repaint the rear arches too.

null_zpsfa39e985.jpg

null_zpsc27ec57a.jpg
  • Like 1

ok scrap keeping the second layer of fibreglass, it was too stiff.  The cloth is now stripped and the pillars are stripped ready for glue.

Edited by Bazmcc
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

OK, minor updates from my 'project/daily'.

I've spent the last couple of months chasing knocks, and rattles, and squeaks and creaks and I've came to the conclusion I probably need new suspension.  I've replaced everything else.

I ditched the idea of using the oem headliner cloth (for now) and I'm going with black faux suede for the time being.  It's a nightmare to work with but it'll do the job.  I've just started getting the main parts glued up and I'll get a couple of pillars trimmed within the next couple of days and I'll post pics up when they're almost finished.

I also lost a genuine compomotive center cap and had to order a new set of those.  But I reordered the stickers too just in case I fancy a colour change on them at some stage.

I also got Xenon headlights (depo ones with the black rim) off ebay for £40 because they were rough as a badgers bum.  I have them fixed up mostly but I do need to fiz the tabs on them.  After that I'll be on the lookout for bits to sort out the headlight washer system as it's a legal requirement over here with xenon headlights.

Plans for the new couple of weeks or month:

Replace the rear axel bushes.

Touch up the rear arches

Replace the springs and struts.

Get the phantom rear parking sensors working. They've been on my car since I got it and have never worked.

• 2 months later...

Steering wheel looks lovely mate. Any plans for a new badge to cover the skoda logo on the airbag?

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Nope, i'm happy enough with the oem badge on there. I just stuck the steering wheel on temporary as i lent my standard wheel to a mate who's wheel had got a bad rip in it. It makes a hell of a difference to The driving experience.