Oil under the filler cap in the rubber ring?

Has anyone else noticed oil collecting in the rubber ring below the oil filler cap?

Anyone got any ideas why?

I can only think crankcase pressure.....However I've just got a hose to atmosphere from CCV......

Has anyone else noticed oil collecting in the rubber ring below the oil filler cap?

Anyone got any ideas why?

I can only think crankcase pressure.....However I've just got a hose to atmosphere from CCV......

They all do it - its called crap VW designed filler cap!

My Fabia does it - the Mrs's Beetle does it - got 2 new caps out of VW on warranty for Beetle.

Was looking at cousins VW Sharan TDi the other day - that was the same. All the PD units are the same.

Just clean the rubber ring, and if you are getting boat loads of oil int it maybe get a new filler cap.

The rubber seal in them is crap.

Lewwy

its the pressure, unsecure the cap while the engine is running and all will be made clear lol :thumbup: obviously the less smoke the better, severe smoke may suggest worn piston rings or valve stem oil seals.

none at all? thats usually what causes the oil, yeah get the r8 one if you can pay for it lol

Oh, sorry thought you meant from exhaust.

If I take off filler cap, there's a bit of vapor, but it's not copious amounts, probably normal?

Cars done 120,000 though......

Can also be a partially or near fully blocked engine breather. Diesels are famed for it and should have the engine breather cleaned out on a regular basis if doing trips where the oil doesn't get fully up to temp and stay there. I've just done mine at nearly 3 years, I noticed a small build up of oil and water under the cap seal. Cleaned out the engine breather and problem gone away. Incidentally, the breather pipe was quite restricted, before cleaning, with emulsified oil. Our car hadn't done many miles this last winter and that just pushed it over the edge and needed sorting.