Has my Turbo blown

Thing is, they "test drove" it over 2 days and put approx 114 miles on the clock and failed to see that it is no different to before they did the work, i really dont see how experienced technicians cant tell that when you put your foot down nothing happens that there isnt a problem.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand why the handbrake was not adjusted if the rear brakes needed work also. Doing so without sorting the rear drums could cause rear brake problems, binding etc, so you shouldn't be concerned at that, it is a separate job. I would certainly tell them about your scuffed wheel, they will do that I'm sure.

It sounds as if the dealer was unsure about how your car was going if it had 114 miles on the clock. It may have been test driven by more than one person...maybe someone took it home to see how it went if they maybe had some uncertainty. Should have told you about that though.

Gaz...forgive the question, but I'm clutching at straws a bit here trying to think of why your problem is still apparent. But are you sure it isn't going....just like a car with a brand new engine in it?. Remember it will be down on power by a significant amount over your original engine...as in before it went out to lunch. These 1422cc TDI's are particularly tight when new. I've had many a complaint from customers who have had new engines fitted who told me it "lacked power". But we usually never found anything wrong. It's just the customer had gone from a nice loose, run in engine, to a very tight new engine and the difference can be stark with a diesel. Once run in everyone was usually happy.

If that's not it...then I suggest they check the engine setup from top to to bottom, and if that isn't it, an ecu swap to see what happens.

Again...you may want to consider a separate oil thread warning of the specific dangers of the wrong oil going in a PD engine. Title it as 'Oil...a warning for PD's' or something. PD engines are unique in their oil requirements...not falling into the usual oil clutter conversations. Stick the wrong oil in many cars and it won't really matter too much short term...but get it wrong on a PD and the engine is toast very quickly.

Sorry to hear about your continuing woes.

Good luck.

Maybe its just me but it seems odd that the incorrect oil would kill the turbo and EGR valve. PD oil is different only in having the extra additives that the injection cams demand (might be lithium, cant recall).

Any non PD oil, but oil for a turbo car wouldnt kill the turbo just because its a PD

He reports the lack of low down power is still there. Sounds a lot like control issues.

The reported mpg is particularly low. Still sounds like low boost, could it be an issue with the turbo intake vanes ?

Mine is sluggish below 1800 rpm. Mind you the Greenline has a torque band lower (1800-2200) than a standard PD. A standard PD engine would be even more sluggish at this rpm.

All that wasted fuel must be going somewhere, is it smoking more than normal ?

I would be very tempted to stuff in a borescope through the filler to see if the injection cams have been affected in any way by this non PD oil.

Edited by raisbeck

Just to answer a few points raised

No smoke, no increase anyway.

Anyone who got in this car would ask "has this even got a turbo" there is nothing in the acceleration to suggest a Turbo is even fitted, when it was all working before the turbo failed there was a definate turbo kick felt at about 1600-1800RPM but now theres nothing, just a slow constant increase through the rev range up to about 2500-2800 RPM then very little happens after that.

Just been out on another usual route today, only 20 mile return but a route i take most Sunday afternoons and one which usually returns a steady 56-57 MPG, today returned 38.6 MPG

Edited by gazman1

Make sure you complain to the service manager and ask them what they are going to do to put things right. I'd want a proper valet and an alloy refurb and reassurance your car wont be left in that state again too.

If they refuse to make good of the situation tell them you'll take the car elsewhere for a second opinion and you'll be venting your spleen to SUK.

Edited by pipsyp

Just been over the M62 and back to give it a real test, ha, ha, what a struggle, anyone who knows the steep 3 mile stretch coming out of lancashire into Yorkshire and onto the top where it says the highest road in the country will know this is a real test of a cars power to pull, well i took a run up and hit a staggering 80 MPH at the bottom of the hill (seemed to take forever to get to 80), as soon as the hill started to turn to the right i dropped to 60, then 55, then 50, i dropped it down to 4th gear but nothing, the revs stayed at 2800RPM and i struggled to maintain 50MPH i put it back in 5th to take the revs down to where the power band is but the car felt like it was going to grind to a halt until i hit the crest of the hill and to be honest i was a danger to other road users, i was also 2 up with a passenger but have easily climbed that hill in the past with the wife and 2 kids in the car.

This is a route i take loads of times and can always maintain 70MPH on that hill in 5th gear and can quite easily increase my speed if i need to.

MPG for that journey came out at 34MPG when i would normally expect somewhere between 50-55MPG

Maybe its just me but it seems odd that the incorrect oil would kill the turbo and EGR valve. PD oil is different only in having the extra additives that the injection cams demand (might be lithium, cant recall).

Any non PD oil, but oil for a turbo car wouldnt kill the turbo just because its a PD

Sadly, there are several oils that will total the turbo, and damage the cams too. We don't know what oil was put into the engine, it might even have been a mineral oil of some kind which is instant death to some turbos. Oil has become a critical issue for quite a few cars now that the base metals in many oils have had to be reduced or even completely removed in some instances to comply with Euro 5.

If I was the dealer I'd want that car back into the workshop sharpish for analysis and to make sure the engine is setup correctly and that there are no ECU issues....which...like you, I believe looks increasingly likely.

Tried to get it back to the dealers today but the workshop is closed and only the sales dept open, on the way there and back is a level stretch of dual carriageway which allowed me to roughly test the 0-62mph figures, the manufacturers figure is 0-62 in 13.2 seconds

Not really a scientific test but a rough guide, i was by myself with a stop watch.

first run from a standing start was 20.7 seconds, second run was 20.2 so given slight errors it still looks like around 7 seconds slower than manufacturers figure of 13.2 sec

Earlier when i tested it on the motorway and i got it up to 80MPH i didnt realise that the manufacturers top speed is quoted at 107 MPH, i was coming down a slight hill when i got to 80 mph and theres no way i could have got it to 90 let alone 107

Took it back in this morning after a horrible phone call, the service manager was a total ares claiming there was nothing wrong with the car, he eventually agreed to look at but wouldnt give me a loan car, the loan car i had previously was still parked where i left it but he said i had to ring Skoda assist to get another car, Skoda assist said the manager just needed to call him to extend the original loan of the hire car, he reluctantly did this but it took 1 hour to do so.

I take back anything positive i said about this dealers, they are terrible, i knew from my first phone call that it was going to be trouble and i get the impression that because i didnt buy the car from them that it isnt their responsibility

Oh well.

Hi Gaz, Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your dealer. The fact you didn't buy the car from them is irrelevant. As a franchised dealer they sign up to an agreement to help all Skoda customers. Await there assessment and see what they say. Then let us all know. We're all behind you for advice etc. Don't lose heart mate. :thumbup:

Gazman, stick with it. If you get no success this time around, perhaps try taking the service manager for a ride in the car to demonstrate the issue to him. Seek out the franchise owner and complain if it is still not sorted, try another dealer, and contact Skoda UK.

Do you have a Briskoda badge? A dealer i took my car into noticed it immediately. Don't know whether it helped but i think the dealer network knows that there is a huge community out here. Some are probably hiding as members or lurking, and then you others who are very open about their participation.

Anyway best of luck, and really hope it works out.

Jerry

After Skoda agreeing to rectify and lengthen warranty so all looking good sorry to hear the engine definitely is not right.

I am surprised they handed the car back to you as surely after 114 miles added they realised something very wrong with lack of power even if not monitoring fuel consumption.

Even worse getting a poor reception from the dealer and hassle getting loan car again.

Is there another dealer fairly local to you?

Not ideal since they probably won't know exactly was work already done but if still not right when you get car back this time maybe your best option.

I agree with you Delta, although another dealer should be able to access the work already carried out under warranty. I would be inclined to contact SUK directly if this time your dealer who carried out the work doesn't acknowledge there is a problem. Skoda UK does realise that if someone has a beef, even after work has been done that they need to sort it. Just always be polite and speak with authority to whoever you get on the end of the line. You definitely have a problem so don't be afraid to say very politely from start to finish what has happend. Keep repeating your self in needs be. Good Luck.

Bit of an update, took car in a full 3 days ago and was annoyed not a single phonecall just out of courtesy, was going to leave it and just see how long they would leave it before contacting me but in the end its my car and i need to know whats going on.

Called at 11am today and rather than getting the old "well weve tested it and cant find anything wrong routine" i was told by the service/workshop manager there is definatly still a major problem (why on earth give it back to me then) the technicians at the dealers have hit a brick wall as nothing is showing during all the tests they put it through, the only fault showing is an ariel problem which was also picked up by the breakdown chap.

Anyway, it now appears that the main Skoda UK technicians are involved with the car, it is hooked up to something called a DISS machine (sp) which apparently means that technicians from other parts of the country can access my car via some sort of network connection, however, they connected to it on Tuesday and then again yesterday but haven't found anything obviously wrong other than to confirm the car is approx 50% underpowered.

Will update when i hear anything

Had a call today, strange one really, girl on reception only wanted to know how long ive owned the car and when i first noticed the trouble, the 2 answers to these questions are on record, initially they told me how long ive owned the car as its on the Skoda database, really no idea what to make of that call, i asked if they had any more info and the girl just said, no sorry, the Skoda technicians just wanted to know the 2 answers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive got a feeling they dont have a clue whats going on, anyone have any idea how long this situation can be allowed to go on, is there a time period before they have to do something, ie give me a car what works in exchange.

Hi "gazman1".....sorry to hear that the dealers are a pain.....can't add anything to what has been said as pretty comprehensive...but......the fact that the dealers have stated that "we can't find anything wrong, but it is defo 50% underpowered"...is the best news that you have had...you are not imagining it as they like to imply!!! The fact that they are asking those two questions directly means that they are double checking their database.......looks like they're going to have to fork out!!! :giggle:

Update: Spoke with dealer again yesterday and he said Skoda are getting pretty desperate to get this sorted as its costing them quite a bit of money in parts/repairs/tech time and in rental for a top of the range Focus 2.0L TDCI Sport, he said they had already put in a brand new Turbo on its first visit and a new EGR valve, this time round they have replaced the Fuel Pump and are going to put on a new Catalyic Convertor as it was thought it might be clogged up.

The obvious question i asked is if its still underperforming after a new Turbo was fitted was this a mis diagnosis in the first place and did the Turbo actually need to be replaced, he replied, "well it was a little noisy"

No idea where this is going to be honest but im not really sure i want the car back after all this.

Update: Spoke with dealer again yesterday and he said Skoda are getting pretty desperate to get this sorted as its costing them quite a bit of money in parts/repairs/tech time and in rental for a top of the range Focus 2.0L TDCI Sport, he said they had already put in a brand new Turbo on its first visit and a new EGR valve, this time round they have replaced the Fuel Pump and are going to put on a new Catalyic Convertor as it was thought it might be clogged up.

The obvious question i asked is if its still underperforming after a new Turbo was fitted was this a mis diagnosis in the first place and did the Turbo actually need to be replaced, he replied, "well it was a little noisy"

No idea where this is going to be honest but im not really sure i want the car back after all this.

I feel more and more sure they are looking in the wrong place for the problem. I don't think it's mechanical, although a clogged cat could cause big problems. If it isn't that insist they swap your ecu for comparison. Duff ecu's don't always tell you they are duff when you plug the car into the diagnostics...often telling you very little and not showing any faults at all. It will be fixed...and boy...you'll virtually have a new car! It should go brilliantly once sorted.

I feel more and more sure they are looking in the wrong place for the problem. I don't think it's mechanical, although a clogged cat could cause big problems. If it isn't that insist they swap your ecu for comparison. Duff ecu's don't always tell you they are duff when you plug the car into the diagnostics...often telling you very little and not showing any faults at all. It will be fixed...and boy...you'll virtually have a new car! It should go brilliantly once sorted.

I think Estate Man may have the answer there as i very much doubt it would be the thing to check, especially with all these plug in systems that cars get connected to these days. i suppose it could be possible that part of the programming has got stuck in a loop thus preventing full power being extracted from the engine. If all else fails it may be worth enquiring as to the possibility of a duff ECU as EM has suggested.

If everything else has basically been replaced, i can see little else it could be.

Sounds very much like a worn camshaft issue, diss by the way is basically a glorified email system to some suk tech chaps, they can remotely access your vehicles fault memory via the workshop diag machine and a phoneline.

Hope you get this sorted soon : (

Sounds very much like a worn camshaft issue, diss by the way is basically a glorified email system to some suk tech chaps, they can remotely access your vehicles fault memory via the workshop diag machine and a phoneline.

Hope you get this sorted soon : (

What would cause a worn camshaft in a low mileage engine