Turbo Working. How can I tell?

Hi guys,

can anybody out there tell me how I can (simply!) check if my turbo is working properly.

This last weekend, I was in North Wales and on one journey I really struggled up some hills, even having to go down into second to get up the hills :S .

It's as if the turbo switched off? and the umph was missing.

Its been ok since, but I was unerved by the apparent loss of power.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dawpooldad

Looks like your car has been going into limp mode. Basically the ECU detects that boost is not as requested and goes into safe mode, turning off the tubo. This can usually be reset by restarting the ignition and your turbo will be back up and running until it happens again.

There can be various reasons for this. Problems with valves or sensors. Could be sticky variable vane system causing boost to not be as requested. Could be turbo on its way out.

Getting the codes read should help to narrow it down. The solution could be anything from some regular lively driving to having to replace the turbo.

As for telling if the turbo's working - its pretty lethargic without it. Wind down the windows and a working turbo will give you a bit of a whistle as you accelerate. If it's not working things sound a bit more 'agricultural'.

Edited by Uriel

Sticky vanes, vacuum leak, dodgy MAF, dodgy n75, dodgy MAP.

When it occurs you can cycle the ignition to clear the fault and normal power should be resumed. If not then things are a bit worse.

Mine goes into limp when I give it some stick up a hill. I know my turbo vanes are not sticky, so mine must be a sensor (or possibly vacuum/n75 related).

As above a fault code would help a bit more.

Edited by mbames

It could be limp-home (if it's a sudden loss), but could also be a fading MAF which just gives a flat feel. Unplug the MAF- if performance doesn't get vastly worse, it's probably gone.

Hi guys,

thanks for the above replies. Judging by what you've said, it appears that it went into limp mode as it hasn't happened again. I think that it reset iteslf after restarting the engine and I can't get it to do it again.

I can hear a faint whistle on acceleration, so I think that if it happens again I will get the codes read, to try and pin it down before it gets any worse.

Thanks again for the help.

Rgds

Dawpooldad

It if went into Limp-home mode, then a fault will have been logged.... (faults aren't date/time stamped), so it might be best to get the fault read and cleared and then your are running with a clean slate (so to speak) should it happen again.

There are various members around with vagcom who can help out....

fwiw, mine played up again today, and I captured the logs:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/200068-17965-charge-pressure-control-positive-deviation/

Make sure you give the car some regular stick (especially on uphills) to help keep it all in check, however if the problem is caused by a rust build up on the control side then there is not much you can do about that short of taking the turbo apart and cleaning it (which is DIY job).

Edited by mbames