Foglight mod on Mk2...

OctyNik

it was a lovely day today so I decided to do something I had planned even before I had the car!

It was pretty scary splitting the polycarbonate (which stinks when cut and is in my hair now, eww!) but in the end I think it looks great.

02052011267.jpg

02052011269.jpg

Thanks for looking! And before anyone says anything the coilovers are being fitted this week and will be going from one extreme to another, yay!

post-42046-0-97763100-1304349089_thumb.jpg

James, don't know what you mean by looks different matey but I assume you mean does it affect light output? Nope and the part I painted is totally non reflective and just there for show, the bit that's still silver is the only reflective piece :)

the only way I could get the lens off was to cut it where it met the back of the housing, this is hidden by the bumper and it was a very clean cut. It's now sealed with aquarium sealant.

the only way I could get the lens off was to cut it where it met the back of the housing, this is hidden by the bumper and it was a very clean cut. It's now sealed with aquarium sealant.

Hope they don't leak on you mate.......... :doh:

No they won't :) I've done this on lots of headlights and fogs in the past and the lens is stuck on there hard, and for some redundancy I've run a bead all the way around the cut too! Even un modified they usually steam up after a wash as they're vented.

Only just seen this after I spotted your profile comment ;)

That looks nice and no, I've not seen it done before. Thought about tinting the glass area, to stop them appearing so MASSIVE! But think I'll just fit a vRS bumper with its nicer fogs instead :)

Not convinced on your comment about not reducing the lighting efficiency though I'm afraid, as I think the area that you've turned to black is used to give a wide, low angle to the foglight's output when it's needed.

Hehe.

I'm pretty pleased with it, I took it out just now and walked back to the car at a petrol station and noticed it looked a bit sportier at the front. I think it won't have any impact on the light as all the reflecting and aiming has been done by the time the light reaches that part of the assembly, the light beam is only as big as that lense and it'll just shine straight past the painted part.

just been out and the light is exactly the same...

And some more ammo to my "it hasn't affected light output"

Headlight_lens_optics_schematic.png

The parabolic reflector on the Octy is that silver, unpainted part. The black (previously chrome) had no optical qualities all

the reflective part of that light is purely centred on the round (and unpainted part)

in this crude diagram here:

post-42046-0-52394800-1304460033_thumb.jpg

And yes, I am a geek, I am halfway through a photography degree so I do understand the light dynamics and optics :)