New Roomster TSI, fuel gauge off

Hi!

I suspect that my fuel gauge is not showing correctly. When I got the car it showed a little less than half tank, and yet I was able to get 36 litres (more than 9,5 gallons) in the tank. When driving I got close to 200 km (over 130 miles) before the needle started moving at all, and now after 360 km (220 miles) the needle is still showing almost 3/4 full.

This is still my first tank (got the car last friday), but at least currently it feels that the fuel gauge is waaay to optimistic. Has anybody else had this problem, and can it be corrected using VCDS on the Roomster?

Well i don't think there is any problem at all. Take a look at my MFD autonomy after refueling and driving for 10 kilometres.

2011-04-24163804.jpg

The top square goes off after about 160 to 200Km depending my driving. Then after 80 to 100 Km the second one goes of etc. You must know that the fuel tank isn't square but trapezoid (kind of) and this is the reason why the fuel gauge acts weird. Practically i get from 680 (only in city driving) to 960Km (most highway and Country side) per tank

Last summer i drove 760Km having the boot full to the shelf and A/C on and after that there were another 260Km of autonomy. I was driving at a speed of 80 to 130 Km/h but most at 117Km/h since there is the lowest fuel consumption (about 6.2/100 Lt/Km).

Edited by stratosg

Hi!

Thanks for your comments. I have the MaxiDot dash with analog fule gauge, so the logic is a bit different:

2011-05-06072916.jpg

When comparing the distance driven to the distance remaining according to the Maxidot I get the feeling that the fuel gauge is bein overly positive - I'll just have to follow up and see if the gauge is showing correct once the tank is getting emptier.

Edited by the_raz

Hi!

Thanks for your comments. I have the MaxiDot dash with analog fule gauge, so the logic is a bit different:

When comparing the distance driven to the distance remaining according to the Maxidot I get the feeling that the fuel gauge is bein overly positive - I'll just have to follow up and see if the gauge is showing correct once the tank is getting emptier.

By the time i wrote the prevous reply i knew that your car was equipped with MaxiDot, though the logic is the same but the representation differs. I asked my dealer if i am able to fit a MaxiDot dashboard and he was positive.

Now according to your photo i think there is no problem since your car is able to reach + - 950 Km. See my photo again it says 1060 and after 260 Km distance only the top square went off, then after 60 km the second, after calculating the distance it gave me 980Km, this is true depending the way you press the acceleration pedal ;) . Remember this, you will find out that the gauge indicator will drop faster after about 400 Km since the tank as i wrote above is not square but more likely trapezoid.

To be sure you have to fill up your fuel tank, drive a quite long distance e.g. 200Km and after that refuel and calculate your consumption. You should see a difference from 0 to 0.8 (max). If so your fuel gauge is fine. If not no problem your dealer will replace it under warranty.

I hope (to be honest i am sure) there is no problem with your Roomster.

Regards, Stratos.

Edited by stratosg

hi raz just picked my car up today my gauges are the same as yours i will keep a eye on mine just filled it up

50.00 quid i think the tank is bigger than the fabia nice car and the 1.2 tsi engine is great realy smooth

alot better than the 3 pot but still a good car the sunroof is nice to just put a set of mud flaps on it and

a chrome strip over the rear number plate hope you is going ok pete

Hi!

Yesterday was the first fill-up, and I was finally able to confirm my suspicions:

When the refuel warning light came on the Maxidot showed a range of 110 km, but (and this one confirms my suspicions) the gauge was well above the red mark on sthe scale! The gauge dropped significantly faster once I got past the 500 km mark so Stratosg's comments about the trapezoid shape seem to be spot on. The gauge is not nearly as linearly accurate as in our Yeti (and that's a bit of a disappointment), but I guess I'll learn to live with it. I'm just one of those nitpicky number guys that wants everything exactly correct :rofl: :rofl:

On the other hand - the average consumption as indicated by the MaxiDot is more or less spot on. It showed 6.6 l/100 KM (42.8 mpg), and my calculation based on brim-to-brim (actually first-click to first-click on the same fuel pump) and distance gave me 6,67 l/100 (42.35 MPG). As the Maxidot only shows one decimal the deviation is really minimal (the same situation as for the Yeti).

After these findings and calculations I hooked up the VCDS and did the following corrections:

- fuel consumption correction: 102% (I will check the next tank to see if it's correct now or if I need to adjust to 101)

- fuel gauge correction -5 degrees

So now I'l just have to drive along until the tank is empty again to confirm my adjustments.

The fuel consumption is really surprisingly low as this was the first 800 km driven with the car - I expect to get far better figures once the engine looses up a bit more. I'm already getting fuel consumption of 5.8 l/100 km (48,7 MPG) on longer stretches of A-roads, but I also do quite a bit of suburban traffic jam which is not good for the consumption figures

Hi!

Yesterday was the first fill-up, and I was finally able to confirm my suspicions:

When the refuel warning light came on the Maxidot showed a range of 110 km, but (and this one confirms my suspicions) the gauge was well above the red mark on sthe scale! The gauge dropped significantly faster once I got past the 500 km mark so Stratosg's comments about the trapezoid shape seem to be spot on. The gauge is not nearly as linearly accurate as in our Yeti (and that's a bit of a disappointment), but I guess I'll learn to live with it. I'm just one of those nitpicky number guys that wants everything exactly correct :rofl: :rofl:

On the other hand - the average consumption as indicated by the MaxiDot is more or less spot on. It showed 6.6 l/100 KM (42.8 mpg), and my calculation based on brim-to-brim (actually first-click to first-click on the same fuel pump) and distance gave me 6,67 l/100 (42.35 MPG). As the Maxidot only shows one decimal the deviation is really minimal (the same situation as for the Yeti).

After these findings and calculations I hooked up the VCDS and did the following corrections:

- fuel consumption correction: 102% (I will check the next tank to see if it's correct now or if I need to adjust to 101)

- fuel gauge correction -5 degrees

So now I'l just have to drive along until the tank is empty again to confirm my adjustments.

The fuel consumption is really surprisingly low as this was the first 800 km driven with the car - I expect to get far better figures once the engine looses up a bit more. I'm already getting fuel consumption of 5.8 l/100 km (48,7 MPG) on longer stretches of A-roads, but I also do quite a bit of suburban traffic jam which is not good for the consumption figures

I was thinking to fit a maxi dot panel due to the fuel gauge accuracy but after your last post i think i won't. So i really have to live with my MFD panel which is far away from my beloved accuracy. I 'll wait to read news after your VCDS adjustments. Sounds really interesting.

Regards, Stratos.