TMC traffic reports

Bohica

Greetings from another Essex newbie. Waiting patiently for the arrival of our Elegance. There are many questions I would like to ask the group but to start off with does anyone have any experience with the Tom Tom or Garmin TMC traffic reports? I use a Tom Tom in our Scooby Forester and find its traffic reports and alternate route function invaluable. I have ordered the heated windscreen for our Yeti and have heard mixed reports about whether the heating element stops the signal being picked up by the Tom Tom ariel. Anyone out there had any problems?

Greetings from another Essex newbie. Waiting patiently for the arrival of our Elegance. There are many questions I would like to ask the group but to start off with does anyone have any experience with the Tom Tom or Garmin TMC traffic reports? I use a Tom Tom in our Scooby Forester and find its traffic reports and alternate route function invaluable. I have ordered the heated windscreen for our Yeti and have heard mixed reports about whether the heating element stops the signal being picked up by the Tom Tom ariel. Anyone out there had any problems?

Hi and Welcome.

It is the Renault ones that are the problem, not heard about heated screen issues, just the coated screens.

I've had my Tom Tom (1005) hard wired in - mounted on a Proclip on the A pillar. Perfect. I too value the traffic info. Never heard of the problems you describe, mine works perfectly, but I don't have a heated screen in my Elegance.

ps I had a Scooby Forester a few years back. Worst car I ever owned, always breaking down. Sold it after 6 months. Yeti is a million times better!

I have a Yeti with heated windscreen and can confirm that a Garmin has no problems getting traffic reports.I tested this with the Garmin just laying on the passenger seat,this was prior to hard wiring in,then decided to buy a Columbus sat nav.

So the consensus seems to say that the heated windscreen does not block the GPS signal to a TomTom. The TMC updates to route you around bottlenecks etc are received via a digital FM signal (carried by Classic FM in the UK). Their broadcasts can be a bit hit or miss at times, last summer I found European broadcasts of TMC info rather more reliable.

Chris