airbags and welding

Hi Folks

This is my first posting - hope someone can help. I'm repairing an accident damaged VRS and need to do some mig and spot welding. Iknow its best to disconnect the ECU and alternator but what about disconnecting airbags?

Surely best to just disconnect the battery?

The only problem with that when the welder arcs to the body you are adding power through the body (which everything is earthed by) so you can be putting power through all of the control units through their earth leads?

Personally I would disconnect all of the control units, as well as the battery - obviously)

Aye, fair enough!!

I was always taught to have the earth clamp as close to your work as possible, and if in doubt.....take it (possible equipment issues) out!

And apologies to the OP - if you're competent enough to tackle such work, my previous post will be second nature to you.

Thanks folks - I thought its better to be safe than!!!!!!. Got it all lined up today without too many problems so the welding begins at the weekend

Aye, fair enough!!

I was always taught to have the earth clamp as close to your work as possible, and if in doubt.....take it (possible equipment issues) out!

And apologies to the OP - if you're competent enough to tackle such work, my previous post will be second nature to you.