Timing Chain replacement cost?

Hey Guys I posted a video a while ago of what I thought was a noisy fan belt but it is in fact the timing chain rattling of the aluminium enclosure.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvv5OJatVT4

My mechanic was very vague, and negative about the whole thing when I picked the car up off him, kept saying "I don't know whether you want to get into that sort of money", so I'm worried sick rite now. He's going to ring Skoda tomorrow and get a price for it.

Does anyone have any idea what sort of money your talking for a timing chain?

Guest BigJase88

what a plank your mechanic is..

basically he means its beyond him and all he can do it piddly oil changes...

i would reckon it would be around the same as a timing belt replacement, £300 / £400

It should be less than £300 IMO. All the bits needed can be got for http://www.jorily.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=131_7_18&products_id=240 £40, plus you need oil also (no point sticking the old stuff in). It should be no more than a couple of hours labour for a competent mechanic - it is no more challenging than changing a timing belt.

Just make sure to inform any mechanic of the mismarking fault that might be present on a chain, even original ones supplied by Skoda. Details and pic are here http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/131845-idle-power-problem-14-mpi/

haha your possibly rite, anyway, why would a mechanic want to deter someone from a more substantial job. He also knows that once I get the timing belt sorted I intend to sell the car as I'm going to Uni in England next year and could use the cash, so he suggested I just sell the car on without the fix, offload the problem on someone else. :|

Might see about getting it to someone else.

-- Also I found this on e-bay, seems to good to be true at just under £15. Is this suitable and/or everything I need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150571753806

-- Also I found this on e-bay, seems to good to be true at just under £15. Is this suitable and/or everything I need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150571753806

That's the main part. You also need some gaskets as they are disturbed when you remove the sump and timing chain covers from the engine, plus you may as well replace the timing chain cover oil seal too as it's only pennies and you have it all taken apart and will help prevent oil leaks from there in future, and as you're replacing the oil the oil filter too. See link in my last post.

If you're handy with a spanner etc and have access to tools and some wheel ramps you might even want to give it a try yourself.

That's the main part. You also need some gaskets as they are disturbed when you remove the sump and timing chain covers from the engine, plus you may as well replace the timing chain cover oil seal too as it's only pennies and you have it all taken apart and will help prevent oil leaks from there in future, and as you're replacing the oil the oil filter too. See link in my last post.

If you're handy with a spanner etc and have access to tools and some wheel ramps you might even want to give it a try yourself.

Great, thanks alot for your help with this mate. I'l buy the one you posted. B)

In regards to me trying it myself, probably a bad idea. :( lol

I replaced the chain in my girlfriends fabia last year, made it beautifully quiet, more powerful and stopped the engine trying to climb out of the engine bay at idle... for a while. Its now rattling again, less than 10,000 miles later.

On the plus side, i'm a DIY mechanic, I managed to change the chain on my driveway in 3 hours using normal tools and eating dinner halfway through as well.

A competent mechanic should manage this in well less than 2 hours.

Dave.

I replaced the chain in my girlfriends fabia last year, made it beautifully quiet, more powerful and stopped the engine trying to climb out of the engine bay at idle... for a while. Its now rattling again, less than 10,000 miles later.

On the plus side, i'm a DIY mechanic, I managed to change the chain on my driveway in 3 hours using normal tools and eating dinner halfway through as well.

A competent mechanic should manage this in well less than 2 hours.

Dave.

Everything you've said sounds great. If the car would simmer down for a while it would help me sell it on nice and easy.

You guys have put my mind at ease, I'll allow £300 for the work I guess, anything else is a bonus.

The car currently has 4800 miles, brand new clutch put in it at 4600 and the timing belt that will be done. I reckon I'll easily pick up between £1500 £1700. :)