Columbus & SD Card - Help !

I am at my wits end.

I have a 6 week old Superb with the columbus unit and to date I still can not get any tunes to be read. I wasn't too pushed streaming from the iphone up to now but next week I am heading to the south of france and will need as much music as possible.

To date what I have done to no avail is:

Converted my itunes library on my OSX Machine to all MP3 files (what a pain in the nuts that was)

Transferred 15GB in 420 folders to my 16gb Kingston SDHC Card

Columbus never even blinked when this was installed, as if nothing was there.

I then decided that I should re-format the card to FAT32 on my HP Notebook and transferred the files back again. Still nada, nothing on the columbus.

I then re-arranged the 420 folders in to 4 header folders and the rest as sub folders. Still nothing.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or just missing something simple ????

Help ..please

I have 1 folder per album but you also need one mp3 in the root directory.

Start with an mp3 that you've freshly downloaded to ensure its not your conversions that are at fault.

Work forward from there.

You don't need an MP3 in the root.

When I was transferring all my music to my Columbus I arranged everything on a 16GB SD card.

Artist folders with album sub-folders.

The second the card was inserted the SD button lit-up on the Columbus (greyed out when no card inserted) and it started playing from the first sub-folder of the first folder.

If your unit isn't even seeing that an SD card has been inserted I'd try a different card - any capacity, to make sure that isn't the fault.

Still no go and you could be looking at a faulty Columbus.

OK - good news as you know the SD card slot is working.

However the fact the 2GB card worked and the 16GB didn't would initially indicate that the software on your Columbus might be out of date.

It was a firmware upgrade that gave the ability to read the SDHC cards (cards >2GB).

That may not be the problem - but it might.

Do you have access to another SD card which is a SDHC card, so 4GB or higher?

If so, try that and see what happens.

I'm assuming you have the V7 maps installed?

Do you have full 7-digit postcode searching available?

If you do, then you're running a later version of the firmware and the SDHC card should work.

If you don't, then your software could be old and may need an upgrade.

Easy enough to do (although not something Skoda will do for you as far as I know) however you may lose everything on the HD (including maps) and have to reinstall them (as I did).

So do you also have the Navigation DVD, was it supplied with the vehicle?

You don't need an MP3 in the root.

I stand corrected. :thumbup:

I was thinking back to the days when the Bolero needed playlists and having a single mp3 file in the root was a pre-requisite to getting the system working correctly. Columbus owners didn't suffer with this problem!

As your car is only 6 weeks old, I doubt that the firmware is so old as to not recognise cards >2GB but as Stoofa suggests, try another card >2GB and see where that takes you.

I stand corrected. :thumbup:

I was thinking back to the days when the Bolero needed playlists and having a single mp3 file in the root was a pre-requisite to getting the system working correctly. Columbus owners didn't suffer with this problem!

As your car is only 6 weeks old, I doubt that the firmware is so old as to not recognise cards >2GB but as Stoofa suggests, try another card >2GB and see where that takes you.

Yer - I too would have assumed Skoda would have put a Columbus with the latest firmware installed in.

However........ :)

I took delivery of my Octy vRS a month ago.

V7 maps installed but no full 7-digit postcode searching.

So I had to update mine so I could get that feature.

I was extremely surprised that an older firmware had been installed.