Coolant light glitch.

stylish

My 2 year old octy vrs has started to play games first thing in the morning. This morning on startup the coolant warning light came on, i checked the level all was ok, started up again and the light had gone out, drove to the garage for my morning paper on the way to work and it didnt start as quickly as usual, all the way to work it ran ok with no obvious signs of anything wrong.

has anybody else had this problem if so how did they get on.

The coolant warning light can come on for two reasons.

1. Faulty coolant temp sensor on the engine, check for a green sensor its the latest type. It sits int he top hose next the the cylinder head on the right hand side as you look at the engine. Its under the 'L' shaped plastic engine cover.

2. A problem with the sensor in the coolant header tank, quite often through normal use etc a film develops on top of the coolant in the tank, this can interfere with the sensor as it is simply two metal prongs suspended in the coolant, if there is water around them then a small current is passed from one to the other, this keeps the light off. If the coolant drops to below the prongs then no current can be passed so the light comes on, the same will happen if one gets covered in crud. New header tank isnt that expensive.

But if you have warranty both should be covered.

I've had this problem...the diagnosis showed it was the temperature sensor in the radiator (think it's "G83" or something?).

Either way, if the engine runs fine and all the levels look spot on, it will probably be a sensor failure...

Rob.

Had a new one fitted under waranty (coolant temp switch).Then it went again about a year ago after waranty ran out still comes on in the mornings just re-start the engine again and the error disapears just the beeps are starting to annoy me now,no probs with the car have to get it sorted on next service.

I had the same problem the other morning on my 2001 TDi. Switching off and restarting the engine cleared it, and I've not had it again since.

I just put it down to the temperature at the time (I think it was about -1) but if it occurs again I'll check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
This was reset by switching the engine off and restarting. I think it's a low temp thing as it was -6oC.

Shouldn't be to do with the low temperature - the cars are tested to work in much colder conditions than -6! Unless the cold is causing the part to fail, but that would be a bit rubbish.

Rob.

• 2 years later...

Interesting reading had my 04 Octy rs about 2 months, serviced lovingly from birth by Skoda main dealer and just had its 30k service. The other night i went out to find the car coated in frost sarted her up and beep beep beep coolant warning light came on. Therm was showing -1C, switched it off in blind panic, then bravely back on again to silence. Can i take it as read that my best course of action is to get it plugged into the diagnostic to find out whats going on, or is there anything a person like me who dosent know one end of a spanner from another, can do to remedy this, apart from the obvious( dont start it when its cold!):mad:

Thanks

Si