Octy VRS Blue

I am thinking of having my chrome part of the grill painted. Any ideas to which colour I should go for? Its a blue VRS. I was thinking blue or black but not sure whether it will look any good. Also has anyone done this already? Any problems with stone chips?

Cheers

Daz

Blue, the stone chips will all be down to the prep work, really you need t remove ALL of the chrome first, there are many owners on here with photo's of the finished article.

P1000630-1.jpg

Gloss black

DSC00138.jpg

Alternatively a much cheaper way (depending on your DIY skills) would be to wrap it it 3M DI-NOC carbon film. (I know it's not a grill, but it gives you an idea)

P1020178.jpg

A few months ago it would have been easy, colour coded, no questions asked. However after seeing it in the flesh I have to say carbon wrap is the best looking alternative especially on the race blue. This does only apply to pre FL though as the FL grille is so huge it needs to be colour coded to lessen the impact, IMO of course. :thumbup:

post-41023-0-67972000-1309170528_thumb.jpg

1500 miles later and no stone chips yet :D driving style can help on stone chips too a decent safe and legal braking distance helps too IMO

PS I lie in an area where they do the roads surface by pouring tar then gravel on it leaving it loose for weeks and with reads freshly done when I was at home still no stone chips on car at all

GET BLUE GET BLUE GET BLUE GET BLUE :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

dsc3832f.jpg

dsc3648.jpg

Edited by FUBAR

A few months ago it would have been easy, colour coded, no questions asked. However after seeing it in the flesh I have to say carbon wrap is the best looking alternative especially on the race blue. This does only apply to pre FL though as the FL grille is so huge it needs to be colour coded to lessen the impact, IMO of course. :thumbup:

post-41023-0-67972000-1309170528_thumb.jpg

I knew Carl had wrapped his, this IMO looks the best :thumbup:

Blue, the stone chips will all be down to the prep work, really you need t remove ALL of the chrome first, there are many owners on here with photo's of the finished article.

P1000630-1.jpg

Gloss black

DSC00138.jpg

Alternatively a much cheaper way (depending on your DIY skills) would be to wrap it it 3M DI-NOC carbon film. (I know it's not a grill, but it gives you an idea)

P1020178.jpg

Is there an easy way to remove the chrome?

To get the chrome off I just used a craft knife to cut the chrome then peeled it off.

I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of stone chips I got between the Mk1 which I took the chrome off, or on the mk2 which I left it on and sprayed.

I personally wouldn't spray the grill on any other colour but a black Octy, Soz.

It was a hell of a job apparently.

Your not kidding. It took fooking ages to get it to mould to the shape of the surround!!

As has been said though go for either coded to the car, Gloss Black or carbon fibre wrapped.

Wrapping is the easiest to do but i strongly advise you to take the chrome grille to a bodyshop if you want it colour coding or painting gloss black. I would also get a spare grille incase it gets fooked up

I had my new FL done ready for delivery so to give you another example of an FL grille

IMG_0414.jpg

Your not kidding. It took fooking ages to get it to mould to the shape of the surround!!

As has been said though go for either coded to the car, Gloss Black or carbon fibre wrapped.

Wrapping is the easiest to do but i strongly advise you to take the chrome grille to a bodyshop if you want it colour coding or painting gloss black. I would also get a spare grille incase it gets fooked up

I had my new FL done ready for delivery so to give you another example of an FL grille

IMG_0414.jpg

Any excuse to show off the Assassin? Your turning into Bryan..... :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Grill sorted now. I went for the carbon fibre effect. Looks great imo. cheers all for the help it was a tough choice. Very happy with the reults tho....

Get some pictures up. :thumbup:

Will do! As soon as I get chance to wash her. Looks a bit grubby at moment not been using her for a couple of weeks. Not had time to get her cleaned.

WOW thats a neat job :thumbup:

Now I have the gril done in carbon, I think the front needs some extra carbon bits to match. Looking at you photos the fog light surrounds look great and will give the front the look I am after. Do the fog light surrounds come off the car separately to the fog lights and if so how do I get them out?

Cheers

Daz

Now I have the gril done in carbon, I think the front needs some extra carbon bits to match. Looking at you photos the fog light surrounds look great and will give the front the look I am after. Do the fog light surrounds come off the car separately to the fog lights and if so how do I get them out?

Cheers

Daz

The surrounds do come away seperate to the fogs, iirc you need to unclip them from behind so you will need to first remove the outer grille inserts.

Be aware though, they're a b1tch to wrap as Carl says - although he has got quite fat fingers! :giggle: