Induction Kit or Pannel Filter?

Vrs Shark!

I just need some advise on increasing airflow. The problem is, i don't really know what is good and what's not good? There are 100's of induction kits and pannel filters but which one gives the best result? My car is a mk2 Skoda Octavia VRS and it's standard. I have got plans to one day fit a full exhaust system with down pipes and possibly a stage 1 remap by Shark Performance. Would a pannel filter from K&N be good enough for now or would it be better for me to buy a full BMC Carbon Fibre Air Box with cold air feed? The pannel filter cost £50 and the BMC cost £225! :o ! Further more do any of these add any performance increase at all? Please can someone give me some help with this, thanks

I am in the same boat as you. On reading the forums previous posts, it's pretty much down to how much power you want to have at the end of your upgrades. Went to the Gti international last week, spoke to quite a few people about induction kits and panel filters. Although there is a lot of infomation about smooth flow kits , that replace the original pipe work and such , it became clear that it's not an easy decision. Although speaking to a chap at REVO , he advised that stage1 and stage 2 tuning the panel filter is easily up to the job. He had a GOLF mk6 6 pushing 330bhp and found out at the level his itg induction kit was strangling performance , so he had bigger enclosed air housing built. Aside from that he stated upto about 270 bhp at panel filter will be fine , after that it will struggle. He also advocated either volkswagen racing or ITG panel filters.(One thing he did make clear that at stage 1, it was all about quick spool up rather that outright power with any of the filters regardless). If that was because he was associated with them i don't know. As regards exhaust are you planning full turbo back or cat back? Again general advice was if going stage 2 and beyond then turbo back is the way forward.

For me i'm planning to do a full stage 1 , panel filter , hopefully a 2.0 S3 intercooler , mk6 diverter valve and perhaps a cat back exhaust. going to have a look at getting extra cool air into the standard induction system. Also adding some heat sheilding as well. But for me sorting out the handling is the biggest isssue with the MK2 octavia vrs , it's not bad but they are a few issues that can be easily resolved.

Good luck with your choice , but i have to admit the carbon fiber intake systems do look really sweet , but don't think they justify the cost at the level i'm trying to get. After all , who really sees under the bonnet , unless you have a show car. :mmm:

Awe man what can I say , yesterday actually took off the whole air filter cover. I can now see why many advocate the use of a full induction kit. The design of the original cover has a large section which is heated by the engine due to it's design. It really for emmisions and a quick warm cycle. It has made me believe that the most effective solution is a full induction kit. I know they are expensive, but warm air is always at the detriment of performance. I have seen a volant system from the States that's very well designed ( it's for a MK5 Golf gti ). That shall be what i will try and get. Although a panel filter is better than a paper one , air box using that same standard path is better than the original. A complete change seems to be the most efficient. :o

I am just keeping the OE engine cover, as I found I lost low end torque when I fitted an induction kit at stage 1. I am going to use some magmashield tape on the underside of the engine cover to keep the heat out and leave it at that. I have also modifed the snorkel at the front of the car to let more air in and that seems to have made a difference.

• 1 month later...

Eventually went for the Pipercross Venom Kit.(VM359). It was quite easy to fit, although as it's for a MK5 golf gti , there was slight issue. The reducer was not long enough and fouled the pipes.

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

Sent a e-mail to pipercross , but did not get any replys so a quick measure and some searching on ebay ...now sorted for a few quid. The gold heat reflective wrapping is from a good freind of mine who works at a materials production engineering firm.

DSCF0833.jpg

DSCF0831.jpg

Noticed straight away a slightly quicker response , makes a slight sucking sound nothing loud or anything , almost too quite. :smirk: Just need a bit of tidying with wrapping , it's quite thick and not too plyable but looks cool.

Now can't wait for a remap. would like to get a sports cat and downpipe , but think for such a simple design , they are all overpriced. When i had my skyline r33 gts-t , I got a stainless steel 3 inch downpipe and 200 cell sports cat for £300 delivered from Austrailia. The Mk5 golf gti has been around since 2005 ..so the design is not new ....! But we shall see.

Yeah did read that , but it went about open air filters. The one thing i know is that the more bends you make in the inet system the more it slows down the air flow. So far i have had no problems with this system. of course it has not been dyno tested. But if feels and drives better in my opinion. But anything has to be better the air panel warmer that vw...ahem Skoda supplies as standard. Got good reviews with up to 35nm of power increase before being mapped. Not sure i'm getting that from the filter. But in my experience well fitted cone filters with the right shielding , will always perform better than a panel filter. The simple ,flow design is proven almost the same as the volant kits from the states. My only surprise is that they did not use high temp plastic tubing instead of a painted aluminium. The extra shielding also helps too. It was easy to fit no problems apart from the one mentioned. I'm very happy with the results , it pulls so much better in low revs in 4th than it even did with panel filter.

Now just wished i could get a resonable downpipe and 200 cell cat , rather than the over inflated priced ones that are out there. Next on the list is a remap. Has anyone tried an AMD remap? They are closer to me than Shark!

I already have an fault code reader, but after the problems i had when i had my skyline remapped would rather go to the place and get it done. I know the technology has moved on and is completely different , but once bitten etc etc. Also this DNA remap sounds interesting too?

• 5 years later...