SDI fuel consumption

im getting about 150 to a quarter tank, about 320 to half a tank on a mixture of motorway and urban roads.

one thing I have done recently was stick a bottle of redex diesel cleaner in the fuel which has pushed the economy up quite a bit.( Im sure someone will now say that’s wrong :-)) asda were recently selling a 4 treatment bottles for £2.00

may be worth changing fuel supplier if you just stick supermarket fuel to a branded one in and see if that has any effects after 2 or 3 fillups.

also what sort of mileage have you go on it.

some random questions to think about that can have an effect

when did it last have a service /air filter / fuel filter?

what sorts of roads are you driving, eg urban roads, duel carriageway etc this can have an effect

what are you carrying in the car, is it full of people, boot full of stuff etc

It's very hard to get accurate fuel consumption figures using 'half-full' and 'quarter-full' because the fuel gauges on these cars (like most) aren't very linear. Keep a log (i.e. back of an envelope) for a few weeks noting how much fuel you have put in, the cost per litre and how far you travelled, that way you can work out exactly how much you are using.

For reference, my 1.9SDi (130k) does about 53mpg with mixed urban and some motorway driving.

I'd agree with the comment on air filters, mine is changed every 10k, but when I change the oil every 5k (don't laugh, well worth it) I take the filter out and give it a clean anyway.

Edited by Glenn_1966

Drive slowly on longer trips for good fuel consumption (+ensure oil filter is clean and tyres are well inflated). My average is 56.4mpg over 311723 miles (I've recorded all fuel usage). Total cost per mile (excluding parking charges which I keep to a minimum) is 17.1p.