Blackberry Bold 9780 and Columbus phone pairing

Hi everyone

at the risk of going over old ground I have just been issued with a Blackberry for work, but now it wont speak to the car - given i spend a lot of my working day in the car making calls on the move thats a problem.

Been looking at previous posts and even the pinned instructions on copying rSAP onto the phone but I looked up Active sync and it does not work on Blackberry according to one article.

Car is a 58 plate Skoda II with a recently replaced columbus head unit/display.

I can get the car to see the phone unit and typed in the PIN to sync it and the phone now has a skoda rSAP note on it under bluetooth settings but I cannot connect fully.

Can anyone help pls.

It seems to me that this (skoda/rSAP) is overly complicated system given that other cars just connect using a simpler bluetooth system and unless you have a Nokia (in general) there is a problem.

Next problem is i need to order a new car in the next few days and another superb is a front runner, but now i have spent the entire afternoon trying to solve this problem, I am thinking about getting something else, which seems a shame really.

Or am I missing something??

Thanks

Edited by the chemist

I got my BB 9800 working... once...! Then failed miserably!

Change the BT unit to new(er) model and have no issues with ANY phone.

See my post from a few months back.

Al.

Thanks UK Cruise - I did pick up on that thread and might do it.

Howver, I am changing the car in December (its a company car) so I am not sure if that will work - can I just swap this module in and then swap it ack for the origonal when i send it back.

Also do you know if new Superbs come with this module fitted, if not I am assuming I just carry out the same process as before - does this swap affect warranties etc?

I am still struggling to work out why skoda have gone a route that is so complicated - our works vans have blue tooth kits in the radio and while not as sophisticated as the Columbus - they work no probs - might see if this phone works with one of these - would that not be ironic :doh:

Thanks

It is pretty much luck of the draw whether a BB will work with this system - One day it can work and the next it won't.

Hi

fifddled with all the settings on the phone and today it worked.

It seems like it found there was a new sim there and registered it.

The address book is completely scrambled but at least it is there and the phone has paired 2 times.

Still seems too complicated to me

So to summarise it is possible to get a BB Bold 9780 to pair with a columbus :thumbup::)

• 2 weeks later...

update on this one - the BB now does NOT pair with the car any more - I have not changed the settings - so really disappointing.

And guess what it paired no probs with the Peugot cheap van kit!!!

Any ideas why it did pair and now does not - I assume if it worked once and no other hardware changes have taken place the hard ware must be ok?

therefore it must be software or settings - does that follow?

any ideas gratefully recieved.

Just looking at the forum, there seems to be a great many faults with the radio systems, and lots with the car phone/bluetooth/columbs in particular - is someone in skoda picking up on this ?

It's hit and miss weather your BB will pair once only, twice, like mine did, or be as good as gold forever!

The Suggestion is still to change the BT module to the new one, then you wont have any issues.

Al.

As I said its luck of the draw with the bb. Horrid phones.

Just looking at the forum, there seems to be a great many faults with the radio systems, and lots with the car phone/bluetooth/columbs in particular - is someone in skoda picking up on this ?

they have. The newest kits can connect in hsm mode, ie non rsap. Nothing wrong with the system, its the phone manufacturers not implementing rsap or not implementing it correctly. Hence when I moved to android I had to have a Samsung galaxy s as it was at the time the only android phone with it.

Thanks for the info on these items - it looks like there are several different formats of phone and of 'car kit'. Until an ISO type std is agreed we will be left with a betamax/VHS or DVD\Blue ray scenario where either a dominat player in the market will force the other out or the poor end user - that is you and me - will suffer as the two items wont connect.

Going to try re-setting the phone and reconfigure - problem is the company gave me the phone for work after I have been asking for ages - its a good tool and I can see the advantage of it, but if I cant make phone calls I loose all that time and more - still dont want to appear too ungreatful either

• 10 months later...

I have managed to pair my BB9780 to Columbus with GSMIII. But only the phone, not SMS. The Bluetooth Options on the phone are:

Headset - unticked; Handsfree - ticked; SIM Access Profile unticked. There are others but not sure which are important.

It seems others have managed to set their BBs up to send & receive texts as well as phone calls. Would you be kind enough to post which options you have ticked and unticked on your phone so I can fine-tune my pairing?

After some initial setup trial and error, mine has since worked fine, including SMS. Phone is a BB 9700 pairing with a Columbus in a May 2012 build (MY12).

Bluetooth options on the phone:

Discoverable: Yes

Allow Outgoing Calls: Always

Contacts Transfer: All Entries

LED Connection Indicator: On

Security Level: High

Connect On Power Up: Yes

Services: All ticked (including SIM access Profile)

99% of the address book transferred fine but some contacts with characters like "()" or "-" didn't appear on the Columbus, and still didn't appear after I'd removed said characters on the phone.

Hope that helps

Thanks. I tried what you suggest but get a "Failed Connection" message. Once I untick a few back again it connects, but just the phone, no SMS. Strange how things seem to work differently for very similar phones.

I have managed to pair my BB9780 to Columbus with GSMIII. But only the phone, not SMS. The Bluetooth Options on the phone are:

Headset - unticked; Handsfree - ticked; SIM Access Profile unticked. There are others but not sure which are important.

It seems others have managed to set their BBs up to send & receive texts as well as phone calls. Would you be kind enough to post which options you have ticked and unticked on your phone so I can fine-tune my pairing?

Enable SIM Access Profile and all should be well.

Ok, I've got to but in here guys.

The original thread, was started WAY back in 2011, and was talking about a 2008 car - until mid-2010, the Superb came with rSAP profile Only - you could not connect an iPhone, for example, as it didnt support the rSAP (a Nokia invention originally) profile.

2011 model year and newer cars, support both rSAP (Remote Sim Access Profile) and HFP (Hands Free Profile)

I myself, had a 2010 car, and had the problem of pairing a BB with it - (see post 2 from me) - But, now you have the choice.

The rSAP profile shuts down the phone, as a phone, and uses the car's aerial etc to function. - this however, is useless if you have email's, BlackBerry Messenger, FaceBook etc etc. - yes, i know you cant or shouldnt read them while driving, but this is not the point - it's like going back to a dum device.

Yes, txt's can be read on the MFD, but then some models will not have the ability to store the txt on the phone also!

So, BB users, two choices(for >2011 cars) ; Tick and struggle with SIMAccess or Have an easy life, untick SimAccess and use HFP.

There are many, many users of this forum, who have change their module (see sticky thread at the top of Superb2 forum) for a one that will do both; I think i can safely speak for all of us that have changed, that we wont be using rSAP functions again!

Al.

• Like 1

There are many, many users of this forum, who have change their module (see sticky thread at the top of Superb2 forum) for a one that will do both; I think i can safely speak for all of us that have changed, that we wont be using rSAP functions again!

Al.

Absolutely agree! :)

I don't even know what rSAP is anyway and I am happy in my ignorant bliss.

Remote SIM Access Profile :)

Ray