Why you should use Wynns engine flush

fabdavrav

Big day of maintenance (yesterday) to my friends 1.4 8v Classic "Y" plate Fabia (basic spec) with 50,000miles on the clock. He has had all the "standard" services done to it....but of course few garages do an engine flush with the oil change!! The oil had been changed at a garage about 1 month earlier, but when I saw the car do to some other work (discs, pads, ARB bushes, PAS sensor, etc) I suggested a full engine flush and therefore new oil and filter as well!!

First drain about 1/2 to 1lt of old oil (to make room for the Wynns), then take the rocker cover of and brush/work in some of the Wynns into the tappets, rockers, etc., then refit the rocker cover and pour the rest of the Wynns into the engine, then let engine idle for 15mins. Then fully drain oil (let it drain right down for a further 30mins after the inital rush), remove rocker cover and fit new rocker cover gasket end top grommets (£10 max total) from dealers. Then fit new oil filter, sump plug washer, and refill with new oil to correct VAG spec (I used 5w40 of his 1.4MPI). I use Mobil 1, 0w40 in my 1.4 16v 100BHP AUB engine

This is just showing an 8v 1.4 MPI petrol engine.......I do an engine flush every second oil change on my car (16v 1.4) but as it is a 16v it is to difficult to take the rocker cover off, so I don't bother with that bit of the above procedure

Before:

3c371a1a.jpg

After:

7e420250.jpg

It works!!!! emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Big day of maintenance (yesterday) to my friends 1.4 8v Classic "Y" plate Fabia (basic spec) with 50,000miles on the clock. He has had all the "standard" services done to it....but of course few garages do an engine flush with the oil change!! The oil had been changed at a garage about 1 month earlier, but when I saw the car do to some other work (discs, pads, ARB bushes, PAS sensor, etc) I suggested a full engine flush and therefore new oil and filter as well!!

So take the rocker cover of and brush/work in some of the Wynns into the tappets, rockers, etc., then refit the rocker cover and pour the rest of the Wynns into the engine, then let engine idle for 15mins. Then fully drain oil end remove rocker cover and fit new rocker cover gasket end top grommets (£10 max total) from dealers.

This is just showing an 8v 1.4 MPI petrol engine.......I do an engine flush every second oil change on my car (16v 1.4).

Before:

3c371a1a.jpg

After:

7e420250.jpg

It works!!!! B)

Very nice.

So you just soaked up the excess in the rocker cover with kitchen towel?

Any noticeable improvement in driving conditions?

Never been a big fan of flush, used to use it a lot in my Vauxhall days many moons ago and caused a lot of oil leaks as carbon was washed away from seals and gaskets that helped to seal them I think.

Plus for people with newer cars remember Skoda don't advise using any additives to anything be it fuel or oil.

Never been a big fan of flush, used to use it a lot in my Vauxhall days many moons ago and caused a lot of oil leaks as carbon was washed away from seals and gaskets that helped to seal them I think.

Plus for people with newer cars remember Skoda don't advise using any additives to anything be it fuel or oil.

What about 10 year old Skodas? Your dedication to your 1.4MPI is inspirational!

I've been using Wynns engine flush for the past 16yrs...never had a problem with it. Carbon and varnish deposits can seal up dodgey seals, so cleaning that away can make a dodgey seal leak or sweat a bit more! I'd far rather have a bit of sweating (or replace the dodgey seal) and do oil top ups than have a gundged up engine!! Most engines made in the past 12years have far tighter tolerances so need as much gundge and varnish removed to stop the components being affected!

Remember: The lower the friction loses the better the mpg!!! B)

The techs at my local Skoda dealership state unoffically, (their attitude is "it won't do it any harm, and will get rid of gundge and varnish") an engine flush at least every 4yrs, if not every 2yrs, as it saves other "problems" starting!!! B)

Edited by fabdavrav

Very nice.

So you just soaked up the excess in the rocker cover with kitchen towel?

Any noticeable improvement in driving conditions?

As you can see in the photos there are some non-drain areas eg the hex holes etc...so I used used some paper kitchen towel to just soak up/clean these areas of oil/gundge after the flush! B)

P.S. my mate has said that it sounds smoother and is more responsive! B)

Edited by fabdavrav

• 3 months later...

Any part no's for the bits and bobs I should get from dealers to do this flush? And any old wire brush will do?

Not a Wire bush!!!....use an old soft clean paint brush!!!

Parts no.s I don't know as I gave the recipt to my mate as he paid for the stuff!

Not a Wire bush!!!....use an old soft clean paint brush!!!

Parts no.s I don't know as I gave the recipt to my mate as he paid for the stuff!

Oops...good thing I posted here first!

Partco cheapest for the engine flush and oil? They were so much cheaper than halfords or the dealer for the engine coolant when I did a radiator flush.

Did you replace the whole rocker cover or just the gasket? Presumably I'll need new sealant too?

Just the gasket and the two top grommets...no sealent needed..just lub them with new engine oil...and do the nuts to the correct torque....very low figure....don't have haynes to hand! B)

• Like 1

and do the nuts to the correct torque....very low figure....don't have haynes to hand! B)

Truth

I snapped one them in the head on the wifes 1.4 8v, just left it though as car was going anyway, it used to leave a nice pattern on the bottom of bonnet lol

• 1 year later...

Awesome stuff, i may give this a go with my 1.4 16V fabia mk 1 elegance (100 bhp :D ), as it struggles like a b*tch uphills it sounds like its Pinking however ive used red ex and injector cleaner loads and its not improved much, MPG also seems to run away with itself - trip computer says 200 miles, i pull off and it drops to 180 ! i got 160 miles on £20 last week now im almost out and ive only done 90 with no difference in driving if anything i raced last week !

Aaron

Its only 92k :P well its not been very well looked after, ex cop had it last and ran it with NO OIL so that has not helped I am using shell v power nitro which is slowly making it run sweeter eachfill up !