What I did to my Octavia

Hey all,

Just wanted to share the small but large addition to my Octavia. Not that I think it needed it, I always did think of it as a bit of an oil burning beast. But since adding the Chip Express system to it on Friday, all the things that made it a beast have just being made better.

Thottle response now is fantastic, there is no turbo lag at all and the power is just like a constant surge through the whole rev range as opposed to a quick burst between 2000 to 35000 rpm.

Thats all for now, wanted to know if anyone else has tried this or something similar?

Hey all,

Just wanted to share the small but large addition to my Octavia. Not that I think it needed it, I always did think of it as a bit of an oil burning beast. But since adding the Chip Express system to it on Friday, all the things that made it a beast have just being made better.

Thottle response now is fantastic, there is no turbo lag at all and the power is just like a constant surge through the whole rev range as opposed to a quick burst between 2000 to 35000 rpm.

Thats all for now, wanted to know if anyone else has tried this or something similar?

I think you're going to get some adverse comments Angelo - plug-in "black boxes" are not really recommended.........

The why's and wherefors I'll leave to other, more experienced forum members :yes:

I think you're going to get some adverse comments Angelo - plug-in "black boxes" are not really recommended.........

The why's and wherefors I'll leave to other, more experienced forum members :yes:

oh dear i fear a tidal wave coming...........

hehe I hope you've done your research and are prepared for what our fellow Briskodian members have already said ...... I ran a "black box" in my HDi 406 for 30000 miles of pure giving it stick!!! car now has over 200k on it and going strong..... wasnt a box with a few resistors in it, was a good expensive one at time and I was happy with it!(that's what counts most) I looked into it in depth before doing so I wanted something back then that I could manage for restoring to normal which it served its purpose and was cheaper than a remap id be stuck with!

Hope all goes ok with it and you enjoy it all if you don't mind me asking how much was this ??

I am now sitting back to watch the the thrifty Skoda internet people respond to your purchase :no:

Edited by FUBAR

I had a tuning box on a cdti150 vectra, made it about 200bhp, and had no problems during the 40000 miles it was on. power increase was solid throughout the range.

Mine was the Spider with adaptive scan from Diesel Tuner in Hull. Not a cheap generic type.

I think the general consensus is, and I agree, not as good as a proper remap. However not to be dismissed out of hand, and if you are happy thats all that matters. Good luck with it.

So further to what I said, did some reading on here and other stuff google threw at me and kinda starting to see there are mixed thoughts about these small piggy back boxes that seem to make stuff better (or so it seems...). My reason for picking little black box over Mr remap is my car is still under warranty (think I still got a year or something), I don't really want my insurance to know about it and my homework in the end sort of pointed to chip express as being the best bet. When I say bet, it purely is that.

My bet I think has paid off, I do have more power (more predictable, throttle response is more aggressive and better) to play with, fuel ecomony hasn't being effected (I'd say its improved a little, but its only being a week), there is room for more performace or economy with ajustment of the little black box and no hic ups at all(ecu errors, poor idling, excess fuel consumption, catastrophic failure... ect).

So further to what I said, did some reading on here and other stuff google threw at me and kinda starting to see there are mixed thoughts about these small piggy back boxes that seem to make stuff better (or so it seems...). My reason for picking little black box over Mr remap is my car is still under warranty (think I still got a year or something), I don't really want my insurance to know about it and my homework in the end sort of pointed to chip express as being the best bet. When I say bet, it purely is that.

My bet I think has paid off, I do have more power (more predictable, throttle response is more aggressive and better) to play with, fuel ecomony hasn't being effected (I'd say its improved a little, but its only being a week), there is room for more performace or economy with ajustment of the little black box and no hic ups at all(ecu errors, poor idling, excess fuel consumption, catastrophic failure... ect).

INSURANCE.................you gotta tell em!

Risk of being found out - low

Consequence of being found out - You're not insured.

Thought about one of these also(Bluefin) but yet to go ahead with it,know a couple of people who have had these and no problems so far,My last remap i had done at collins performance in Congleton,and will probably go down the same route but closer to home.

Thought about one of these also(Bluefin) but yet to go ahead with it,know a couple of people who have had these and no problems so far,My last remap i had done at collins performance in Congleton,and will probably go down the same route but closer to home.

Bluefin is not a tuning box - it is a box that you plug into your diagnostics port that then applies a remap. Shark have a similar box that they call STS.

INSURANCE.................you gotta tell em!

Risk of being found out - low

Consequence of being found out - You're not insured.

:thumbup: +1 top advice have to declare it rude not to and illegal!

If you took someone out your fault but purely accidental and they were disabled for life im sure they would appreciate having a BIG pay out off your insurance to help them get by for the rest of their life. Insurance assessor or police will find it! (In an accident you may not be able to get at it to remove) but if its left over fuelling errors on your ECU your screwed anyway many do!

Insurance might not be too bad anyway !!!! if you ask them hypothetically if you got this box how much and you dont like it unplug and wait for renewal and go with tesco or a mod friendly company there are many a thread on here about the subject!

The other point to remember is that in the event of an accident because you have knowingly and willfully invalidated your insurance the police will treat this as driving without insurance and you'll get prosecuted.

Always best to play a straight bat on these things.

Think someone up top likes me just a little, cause I spoke to my insurance guy today about my small "modification".

There were some good points made before about what could happen(con's sort of out number the pro's), so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Turns out that as long as the modification on my car is road worthy my insurance policy will cover it.