Ready for winter

The Plumber

OK it's the height of :sun: but looking outside at the :rain: you might not think so. Anyway the mention of the dreaded winter tyres has loomed on one or two posts recently which prompted me to get on with sorting out winter rubber instead of leaving it until last minute as over the last couple of years. Even running on 16's as standard, with this unpredictable weather I'm still going to change over again in early November.

Noticed that winter tyre availability is starting to increase, I assume manufactures are turning over some production to these tyres. Currently Camskill are offering the best deals on both 215/60 R16 & 225/50 17 with Dunlops at £103 and Hankooks at £75 each for the 16". Got a set of the Hankooks myself and had them fitted to some steels by the local fitter for £20. For those wanting to stick with 17's Dunlops are £136, just need to add to that £9.60 delivery for 4 making it still cheaper than mytyres.

Regards,

TP

OK it's the height of :sun: but looking outside at the :rain: you might not think so. Anyway the mention of the dreaded winter tyres has loomed on one or two posts recently which prompted me to get on with sorting out winter rubber instead of leaving it until last minute as over the last couple of years. Even running on 16's as standard, with this unpredictable weather I'm still going to change over again in early November.

Noticed that winter tyre availability is starting to increase, I assume manufactures are starting to turn over some production to these tyres. Currently Camskill are offering the best deals on both 215/60 R16 & 225/50 17 with Dunlops at £103 and Hankooks at £75 each for the 16". Got a set of the Hankooks myself and had them fitted to some steels by the local fitter for £20. For those wanting to stick with 17's Dunlops are £136, just need to add to that £9.60 delivery for 4 making it still cheaper than mytyres.

Regards,

TP

Hi TP

Still got my Avon Ice Touring ST's in 215/55-16 size from my earlier Passat. These coped extremely well last winter and still have plenty of tread (well above the recommended 4mm). These threw out the speedo by about 10% so may try some 205/55-16s.

John

Hi John,

had a quote form my local ATS on Avon's in the 215/60 size at £124 a corner, with Dunlop's at £147 :o hence opting for the Hankook's as they appeared a very reasonable price. Will have to wait and see if I made the right choice but they have to be better than the standard Premium Contact 2's from the factory, which from experience on other cars are pretty useless in cold weather.

Regards,

TP

I'm still looking for some Continental WinterContact TS810 tyres. I want 2. They are still listed on the Continental website, but don't seem to be readily available (yet) They are an 'old' design, but if they weren't available, I would have thought that they wouldn't be on their main website.

If I can't find any, what do I do? Continental WinterContact TS830P ? Michaelin Alpin? Hankook? Can I have different tyres on different axles? I didn't think it was recommended.

MIke

I'm still looking for some Continental WinterContact TS810 tyres. I want 2. They are still listed on the Continental website, but don't seem to be readily available (yet) They are an 'old' design, but if they weren't available, I would have thought that they wouldn't be on their main website.

If I can't find any, what do I do? Continental WinterContact TS830P ? Michaelin Alpin? Hankook? Can I have different tyres on different axles? I didn't think it was recommended.

MIke

Hi Mike,

think you should be OK running T810's on one axle and 830's on the other; same manufacture, similar compound etc. The Gen IV can cope with even different tread wear on the same axle, although personally I'd always replace both tyres.

Regards,

TP

Hi John,

had a quote form my local ATS on Avon's in the 215/60 size at £124 a corner, with Dunlop's at £147 :o hence opting for the Hankook's as they appeared a very reasonable price. Will have to wait and see if I made the right choice but they have to be better than the standard Premium Contact 2's from the factory, which from experience on other cars are pretty useless in cold weather.

Regards,

TP

Hi Tim

I put a set of Nankang SV-2s on my Son's car having had Nankang winter tyres on a Honda FR-V some years ago. In both instances they proved very effective and at a price less than half the front-line tyres.

John

Hi Tim

I put a set of Nankang SV-2s on my Son's car having had Nankang winter tyres on a Honda FR-V some years ago. In both instances they proved very effective and at a price less than half the front-line tyres.

John

Hi John,

yes remember you mentioning this before; if I've got the right thread in mind did he not unfortunately end up on his roof on summers or was that someone else :wonder: My sons Fabia has 165/70 r14 Federal 731 M+S tyres (on when we bought it), very budget things but proved very effective in snow but not much use on ice mind. Intend to get them changed to a proper all-season tyre if the budget will allow.

TP

Personally I went for 205/60 R16 which gave me a far wider range of winter tyre options and a near identical diameter to the standard 225/50 R17. Hence I was able to go with Goodyear Ultragrip's 7+ for £100 per corner. So a known quality winter tyre albeit quite possibly a bit OTT for British winters :thumbup:

Just to buck the trend I also went with Borbet alloys to fit them to, if anybody is considering going the alloy route I'd recommend visiting the Borbet website where they have an excellent application that allows you to 'fit' any of their range of alloys to your Yeti and see precisely what your car would look like.

Hi Mike,

think you should be OK running T810's on one axle and 830's on the other; same manufacture, similar compound etc. The Gen IV can cope with even different tread wear on the same axle, although personally I'd always replace both tyres.

Regards,

TP

Thanks TP

I wonder which I should put at which end? emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

After my experience last year, I will be carrying a full size spare winter tyre.

I've purchased a set of these for my car (not a Yeti)

Tyres

Kleber is a second line Michelin brand.

They seem to have some good reviews and quite good value as well. Along with heated front and rear screens, washer jets, mirrors and seats and a repositioned washer bottle where it can get some heat from the engine bay and I can route the pipes along the cooling system hoses, I should be having a better winter than the last one.

For what it's worth, here is my philosophy on tyres - winter and summer.

For 90% of the time, any tyre will do the job. For 99% of the time any quality tyre will do the job. For that last one percent, which is where you get surprised by an unusual or unexpected situation and need all the traction or retardation you can get, I want the best possible between me and the road.

The critical situation is usually just wet. Dry traction is pretty good for most situations and snow is clearly visible and the prudent driver will react and adjust to that situation. Wet and unexpected ice are where you get caught.

Both winters and summers are selected to give the best traction in wet - within the available sizes. Saving a £100 is not an issue as far as I am concerned. Saving my behind in an unexpected situation is. All four should be identical and rotated to give even wear and even behavior - which makes the vehicle behavior most predictable.

Incidentally, many years ago, the (London Metropolitan?) Police issued a little book called Roadcraft. It deals with driving dynamics and is a well worth read. Quoting a senior sargent instructor at the Hendon Police driving School(1962): " You can cheat the Rules of the Road, and get away with it, but you cannot cheat the laws of physics."

Edited by Agerbundsen

Hi Tim

John

This gives me some reassurance re my Nankangs which I shall be putting on this winter.

For what it's worth, here is my philosophy on tyres - winter and summer.

For 90% of the time, any tyre will do the job. For 99% of the time any quality tyre will do the job. For that last one percent, which is where you get surprised by an unusual or unexpected situation and need all the traction or retardation you can get, I want the best possible between me and the road.

The critical situation is usually just wet. Dry traction is pretty good for most situations and snow is clearly visible and the prudent driver will react and adjust to that situation. Wet and unexpected ice are where you get caught.

Both winters and summers are selected to give the best traction in wet - within the available sizes. Saving a £100 is not an issue as far as I am concerned. Saving my behind in an unexpected situation is. All four should be identical and rotated to give even wear and even behavior - which makes the vehicle behavior most predictable.

Incidentally, many years ago, the (London Metropolitan?) Police issued a little book called Roadcraft. It deals with driving dynamics and is a well worth read. Quoting a senior sargent instructor at the Hendon Police driving School(1962): " You can cheat the Rules of the Road, and get away with it, but you cannot cheat the laws of physics."

So that implies that I should discard my 3 winter tyres with about 2000 miles on them and buy 4 identical ones, because the manufacturer has 'upgraded' their tyres and not making the same ones any more?

With my BMW's I was getting through quite a few tyres because of the milage I did in them and Michelin were always updating the tyres, so that every time I was after a new pair I had to have the updated ones, so they weren't identical to the others....

So that implies that I should discard my 3 winter tyres with about 2000 miles on them and buy 4 identical ones, because the manufacturer has 'upgraded' their tyres and not making the same ones any more?

With my BMW's I was getting through quite a few tyres because of the milage I did in them and Michelin were always updating the tyres, so that every time I was after a new pair I had to have the updated ones, so they weren't identical to the others....

I am not going to tell you or anyone else what you "should" do. Only sharing my own opinion and practice.

Barring a seriously damaged tyre, which has to be replaced individually, rotating the tyres front to back when they show measurable difference in wear ensures that they all wear out at the same time, so you always replace all four together. Different tyres on each axle is not so bad if they are of similar type, preferably from the same manufacturer, but IMHO four identical are still preferable.

I am not going to tell you or anyone else what you "should" do. Only sharing my own opinion and practice.

Barring a seriously damaged tyre, which has to be replaced individually, rotating the tyres front to back when they show measurable difference in wear ensures that they all wear out at the same time, so you always replace all four together. Different tyres on each axle is not so bad if they are of similar type, preferably from the same manufacturer, but IMHO four identical are still preferable.

I agree and as said earlier, it's that last 1% which might catch a driver out.

As a matter of interest, is there any fundamental difference between 215/60-16 and 205/55-16 on the road?

John

I agree and as said earlier, it's that last 1% which might catch a driver out.

As a matter of interest, is there any fundamental difference between 215/60-16 and 205/55-16 on the road?

John

Hi John,

from my own experience having driven with all three options on a Yeti; 225/50 17, 215/60 16 and 205/55 16, is that for ride comfort and day to day driving the 215 is the best option with the 205 close behind. The only thing I've found that the 225 does slightly better is negotiate certain types of bend without a sensation of understeer, which both the 16's can have to a lesser or greater degree. Also noted that in a winter format the 205 had a tendency to deteriorate in handling performance in warm weather (+15 degrees) with more movement on the side wall round bends, which slightly increased that feeling of understeer. Yet to see how a winter 215 handles in comparison.

Oh for anyone wondering what I babbling about with the term understeer see;

My link

Regards,

TP

Tim,

It makes sense that the 225/50 has a smaller slip angle than the other two, and since most sideways and driving force is on the front, the tendency to understeer is claer - and preferable to oversteer. Another 0.15 bar in the tyres , particularly the winters will help that some. So will a bit more driving power through the bend. :smirk:

That is my problem. A seriously damaged winter tyre- very big hole in the sides wall. I have 3 virtually unused Continental WinterContact TS810 tyres. I will by another 2 tyres, if I can find TS810 then brilliant. If not then I will buy 2 TS830P tyres and fit to the front. I would then use the 'spare' TS810 as a full size spare. Not ideal, but should be acceptable.

Mike

Personally I went for 205/60 R16 which gave me a far wider range of winter tyre options and a near identical diameter to the standard 225/50 R17. Hence I was able to go with Goodyear Ultragrip's 7+ for £100 per corner. So a known quality winter tyre albeit quite possibly a bit OTT for British winters :thumbup:

Just to buck the trend I also went with Borbet alloys to fit them to, if anybody is considering going the alloy route I'd recommend visiting the Borbet website where they have an excellent application that allows you to 'fit' any of their range of alloys to your Yeti and see precisely what your car would look like.

I'll go the same way - the size 205/60 R16 suits best for winter tyre in my oppinnion (as long as there are no chains used!).

I really do not understand why Skoda is omitting this size as approved, neither for summer or winter tyres.

M.

Edited by manespet

As far as I'm aware Skoda (UK at least) do not approve any particular winter tyre size, merely saying 'refer to your vehicle documents'. Perceived wisdom is either 205/55 R16 (now the Greenline 2 standard size)or of course one of the other standard tyre sizes. But given the 205/60 R16 gives the near identical diameter to the 225/50 R17, it provides greater choice, 205 width giving best possible purchase in poor conditions, providing the same comfort level as the 215/60 R16, will look near identical in profile to the 'meaty' 215/60 R16, cost less and finally the fact that several Scandinavian Briskodians wear them, then it was a no brainer for me :rofl:

As far as I'm aware Skoda (UK at least) do not approve any particular winter tyre size, merely saying 'refer to your vehicle documents'. Perceived wisdom is either 205/55 R16 (now the Greenline 2 standard size)or of course one of the other standard tyre sizes. But given the 205/60 R16 gives the near identical diameter to the 225/50 R17, it provides greater choice, 205 width giving best possible purchase in poor conditions, providing the same comfort level as the 215/60 R16, will look near identical in profile to the 'meaty' 215/60 R16, cost less and finally the fact that several Scandinavian Briskodians wear them, then it was a no brainer for me :rofl:

In my country (Slovenia) it is very important and wise to get (pay for :S) official approval of different tyre size than officially Skoda approved, to avoid the risk of no insurance refund in case of accident or being punished in case of police control due to technically inadequate vehicle.

M.

• 2 months later...

My Yeti is finally ready for winter.

Tyres: Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 P (205/60 R16 96 H) - 412 EUR / 360 GBP.

ts830pgross.jpg

Wheels: MSW 22 6,5 J x 16 ET 45 - 320 EUR / 280 GBP.

2645.jpg

Mounting and balancing: 25 EUR / 22 GBP.

All together: 757 EUR / 662 GBP.

A very good deal, I assume! :rofl:

M.

Nice stuff there manes pet, but as I don't have the funds to be able to afford that at the moment, I will stick with my snow shovel and snow chains.

I also have warm winter fleeces and blankets and will keep the phone fully charged. :yes:

I'm FULLY prepared for what chilly winter we may have, but let's hope its warm and mild. emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

I'm FULLY prepared for what chilly winter we may have, but let's hope its warm and mild.

I drove down from Fort William to Carlisle yesterday - hills covered in fresh snow quite low down all the way to South Scotland and driving through sleet over Glencoe. Yeti had a superb weekend on Isle of Mull (Car Rally) and it was a joy to drive in all conditions and all types of roads. My winter tyres await fitting quite soon. Temp 5.8 deg today.