Cannot fit BBK 1.2tsi

Yeti-RS

Yes i am supposed to have gotten rid of my 'awful' car, but long story short........ i still have it.

Was given the opportunity to pick up some gorgeous Porsche 997 calipers (n white!) along with brackets to fit golf mk6/mk5 with 303mm drilled discs and all hardware.

But my mechanic had one look at my car and said no, my car uses the same one piece bracket (translation cant be done into English properly so i am guessing) as the golf mk5 1.6 and wont accept big brake kits :(

Does this sound right to you, we didn't have the brakes on hand, this was just a visual look before i bought them.

Doesn't make sense to me, any brake can be taken off and i was always under the impression that a golf is a golf is a audi is a skoda.... yayayaya :p

Modern VW stuff tends to use 4 pieces to the brakes.

You have your own cars hub which the drive shaft goes through and drives the wheel

You have the brake caliper carrier

You have the disc rotors

You have the caliper itself with the pads and hoses etc.

On previous conversions I have done you cant change your hub but the other bits can be swapped around. Fitting bigger disc rotors means the caliper needs to be further away from the hub centre and the carrier gets replaced to widen the distance.

Maybe your mechanic took one look at the new carrier hole centres/bolt diameter and knew straight away it wasn't going to fit.

Or 303mm wouldn't fit inside the 17" wheels.

Last one I did was a MKI vRS Fabia where Audi TT calipers and carriers were needed with slightly longer hoses.

Edited by marcusfordus

Modern VW stuff tends to use 4 pieces to the brakes.

You have your own cars hub which the drive shaft goes through and drives the wheel

You have the brake caliper carrier

You have the disc rotors

You have the caliper itself with the pads and hoses etc.

On previous conversions I have done you cant change your hub but the other bits can be swapped around. Fitting bigger disc rotors means the caliper needs to be further away from the hub centre and the carrier gets replaced to widen the distance.

Maybe your mechanic took one look at the new carrier hole centres/bolt diameter and knew straight away it wasn't going to fit.

Or 303mm wouldn't fit inside the 17" wheels.

Last one I did was a MKI vRS Fabia where Audi TT calipers and carriers were needed with slightly longer hoses.

He said that its all one piece and at the wrong angle, the only way i can fit a BBK was to change the whole axle???

Sounded like a load of *******s to me, but i didnt want to argue with him....

He also said the old 1.6 golf mk5 had the same setup?

Can nobody help out?.

I read on the yeti DNA thread that the front axle assembly carrier was changed to a one piece item from august last year.............. does this effect the brake setup in anyway?.