4 stars in Euro NCAP- safe family car?

Hi,

Those of you who have read my first topic will know that I consider an Octy as my next car (in 2013ish). I will keep the car for a minimum of 6 years and it will be a family car (wife, I, sometimes my parents and future kids). Do you feel safe driving the Octy in spite of it only achieving 4 stars in the crash test?

I haven't decided yet, however, the choice will likely be between the current Octy (with discount due to it being the old model (if it's still available at that time) or the future Octy III. I take it, the Octy III will get a 5 star rating. Depends on price and mpgs really whether I'll get the II or the III. At that time, the II will be tested thoroughly while the III will be prone to "First edition" mistakes.

I'm also considering a Toyota but they are so expensive and they are not very good when it comes to MPGs (except the Prius of cause.

What would you do and how do you feel about the 4 stars-thing?

If it bothered me not having 5 stars ten i wouldn't have bought one...

The crash structure is sound enough but because most of the range doesn't get curtain airbags or stability control as standard fit items the car only got 4 stars. Add these as options and you have a car that would have achieved 5 stars...

Having seen how quite a few have stood up in accidents and collisions, including a head-on when members here have been unfortunate enough to be involved, I'm more than happy with the crash performance, even if it has 'only' achieved 4-stars in Euro NCAP. I understand one reason for this is because ESP is not standard across the range.

It depends what you're comparing it to. Something to bear in mind is that the NCAP ratings are not comparable between size classes of cars. The Octavia is just big enough (but only just) to edge into the "Large family car" class, whereas as almost all of the Octavia's true competitors are slightly smaller & lighter and thus treated as "Small family cars" by NCAP and can therefore achieve 5 stars more easily than the Octavia.

A "large family car" with 4 stars is not necessarily any less safe than a "small family car" with 5 stars, and quite likely to be safer than a "Supermini" with 5 stars.

Euro Kneecap ratings are nonsense. They have this fixation with kit that won't help.

Also, every time they change their standards, they arbitrarily downrate vehicles that were tested to the previous standard. I can't find it now, partly because their website is in Swedish, but Swedish Folksam ratings are based on how all cars perform in actual real-World accidents, and can give cars that only get a 2* Kneecap a 4* Folksam (based on real people in real accidents remember) or vice versa.

As many posters have said, comparing "4 star" to "5 star" is too simplistic. Not having certain features (whether standard or optional) such as rear seat belt warnings or ESP would prevent it getting 5 star even if in a crash it was as solid as a tank. Personally I specced ESP on my Octavia as having had it on previous BMW and Mercedes cars I thought it a worthwhile investment in primary safety.

Having just had my MkII VRS CR written off on 1st July in a high speed impact with a VW Caddy and my missue and I walked away relativly unscathed, 4 stars v 5 stars is *******s. Ignore the silly ratings - they make no difference whatsoever.

The insurance inspector stated (and I quote) "best car to be involved in an accident in. built like a bloody tank mate"

It depends on what hits you... If its an HGV then you could have ten stars and still get flattened... Wouldn't worry about the difference between 4 and 5... Just look at all the 10 year old cars that are around, they are probably 2 or 3 if any at all!

Here's the report:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/skoda_octavia_2004/206.aspx

Not bad at all but as this is the pre FL model tested in 2004 things may well have improved.

Excellent link Juan.

I'm all for safety but you have to keep it in perspective. I live near the M25 and the notorious Clacketts Lane area. As others have said if a 40 tonne HGV hits you then you have probably had it even in a 100 star vehicle. The most recent incident on the M25 near me shut the road for 24 hours and the HGV which caused it brought down the overhead gantries. Probably not survivable under any circumstances.

It would be easy to fall into the trap of thinking that 5 star NCAP = invincibility. To be controversial I'm not sure I agree with the publication of this data if it helps drivers think that they can drive like idiots and get away with the consequences.

Edited by Minimoke