EGR cleaning / replacement Fabia 1.4

tao3usz

Hi, I need a bit of help with my '53 1.4 Fabia. The CEL light is on. I have bought a hand held diagnostic device to discover any fault codes and it has come up with a code which points to the EGR valve being faulty. I have read up on many forums and this seems a popular fault (not just with Skodas). I would like to know where this EGR valve is located. It can apparently get gummed up and not open or close properly. Since new ones cost £100+ I am opting for to try and clean it first. Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way the fault code was 16786.

Edited by tao3usz

16786/P0402/001026 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Excessive Flow

If this is the 1.4 16V engine (AUA/AUB) then the problem is usually due to a blocked EGR pipe and gunge under the throttle body.

I'd suggest you take the throttle body and the EGR pipe off and give it all a good clean up.

You will probably need to do a throttle body adaptation using VCDS once reassembled.

16786/P0402/001026 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Excessive Flow

If this is the 1.4 16V engine (AUA/AUB) then the problem is usually due to a blocked EGR pipe and gunge under the throttle body.

I'd suggest you take the throttle body and the EGR pipe off and give it all a good clean up.

You will probably need to do a throttle body adaptation using VCDS once reassembled.

Thanks for that. Excuse my ignorance but what does a 'throttle body adaptation' mean ?? Does this involve using the laptop software ?

If so, it will be a problem because I do not have it.

• 1 year later...

Buy yourself a can of BG44 pour it into your tank with fuel and hey presto it will get rid of your gummed up EGRemoticon-0148-yes.gif I presume its 1.4 petrol if its a diesel BG244

going to the give the bg44 a try

That stuff MUST BE SERIOUSLY STRONG to clear the gung that I found in my wife's 2002 BBY engines EGR valve pipe end port in the TB or its interface plate. I'd reckon take the easy cheap way out and clear this pipe port - job done properly.