Anyone got experience with DVLA and private plates

Brian W

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with how long number plate transfers take to go through with the DVLA.

My new Superb is at the dealers, had all the dealer options fitted and is now just waiting for the transfer of my private plates to go through.

Dealer says this takes a full 7 working days but could be longer, especially with the new reg number out.

Not sure on a new unregistered car, but on a pre registered car they will do it whilst you wait at your local DVLA office.

This is how I did it when I first got the plates. It did take three visits due to complications with the log book being in my companies name and the plates being in my name. This was all sorted out so shouldn't be an issue this time.

Dealer has said that the forms were all dropped off with local office on Thursday when he got the car and insurance but that he would have to wait for registration documents to come by post from DVLA in Swansea.

Dealer has said that the forms were all dropped off with local office on Thursday when he got the car and insurance but that he would have to wait for registration documents to come by post from DVLA in Swansea.

10 to 14 working days in my experience, based on three times I've put a plate on a new car.

He may be telling you 7 days as that's when 1st Spetember rolls round and he doesn't want to disapoint you by saying you can't have the car yet.

Hopefully it won't be too long.

If it's late next time, you can just stick the plate on when you get the car V5c a week or so after purchase, as you know, which saves any fancy footwork on behalf of the dealer.

10 to 14 working days in my experience, based on three times I've put a plate on a new car.

He may be telling you 7 days as that's when 1st Spetember rolls round and he doesn't want to disapoint you by saying you can't have the car yet.

That wouldn't be good news, especially as i've taken a week off from 5th to enjoy the new toy!

Dealer seems usually to quote longer times rather than take any flack. I.E. initial estimate of delivery 5-6 months, actual 4 months. Time from build to arrival at dealers 4-5 weeks, actual 3 weeks.

That wouldn't be good news, especially as i've taken a week off from 5th to enjoy the new toy!

Dealer seems usually to quote longer times rather than take any flack. I.E. initial estimate of delivery 5-6 months, actual 4 months. Time from build to arrival at dealers 4-5 weeks, actual 3 weeks.

The 5th would be an extra 4 days so fingers crossed it'll all be fine. :thumbup: