Random Bulb Out Warnings

OK so I've posted some of this before but the issue seems to be escalating...

The background...

I've had a bulb failure warning light on the dash but no message on Maxi-dot telling me which one for a few weeks now despite all of the bulbs operating fine. It started after hitting the brakes and horn with the headlights on when I was cut-up on the M62 one morning.

A few weeks prior to this I had some I had some re-coding done in preparation for fitting a HID kit (xenons without shutters, cold diagnostics on dipped off and CH / LH activated) but at the time the fault developed the kit wasn't fitted and everything seems to have been functioning as it should.

Since the warning came up I've thoroughly checked all the bulbs, replaced some of the rear tail light and reversing bulbs, fitted the 50w HIDs, put in some +30% main beam bulbs and LED sidelights but the warning on the dash has remained, again with no maxi-dot message.

Over the last couple of days however maxi-dot has given me two messages about a failed rear passenger brake light and a failed passenger dipped beam but both have been working fine.

Bearing in kind this wierd behaviour and that it shouldn't even be running the diagnostics on the dipped beam is there anything I should check before I ask someone local to run a VCDS scan, check the coding (could it have re-set itself?) and clear any fault codes as I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue might be other than an implausible fault code or dodgy controller...

If it is a VCDS job is there anyone local to Sheffield (Beauchief or Town Centre) willing to have a look?

Ta

Edited by skomaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - anybody there???

Had another random warning today about the front left dipped beam not working when it was functioning fine...

It'll be the HID kit.

I have an HID kit on mine, and quite often the bulb failure comes on, then goes off. Whenever this happens, there is a fault logged in VCDS against the dipped beam, left, right or both.And it does show up on maxidot as well. Nothing ever seems wrong with the lights though. I can clear the faults every time I plug in, but guaranteed they are back next time.

Also, check the LED sidelights are not playing up. I have now tried 3 different types of LED sidelights, and it's only these that work without problems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140564343534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mike

Cheers Mike but this started BEFORE the HID's and LED's were fitted. Also the LED's came from Hauptman on here so should be fine.

May be as you say I need to find someone to clear the fault codes check the coding and see what happens...

hey i get a bulb warning on quite often it started when i fitted led side lights the light will come on but all bulbs are working fine the warning light comes on and off randomly it could be that. the way i found out was i tried normal sidelight bulbs not leds and the warning light never came on put them back in and warning light back on.

hey i get a bulb warning on quite often it started when i fitted led side lights the light will come on but all bulbs are working fine the warning light comes on and off randomly it could be that. the way i found out was i tried normal sidelight bulbs not leds and the warning light never came on put them back in and warning light back on.

Thanks I'll have a look at that but again this started before the LED's were fitted which is why I' a bit flummoxed?

Recently I had similar....Bulb Warning light with no message. After a few more days, got 'left rear brake light' warning on MaxiDot. Checked and the lamp was fine.

Next time I started the car...nothing until about 1.5hrs drive later when the same warning came up. Again...checked the lamp, and all was well. Still doing it now...randomly. :think:

Edited by JJBS3

I had a similar problem with a rear brake light bulb failing whilst away on holiday a few weeks ago. Warning light came on when driving and when I checked one rear brake light bulb had failed, fitted a replacement from my spare bulb set and everything was OK - for about all of 5 minutes! Checked and all lights were on, checked brake, side, indicator, reversing and fog lights just in cases something got disturbed but everything was working fine!?! Put it all back together so got back into car and guess what - no warning light! Carried on to our holiday destination and no further problems but on the following day warning light came on and stayed on as soon as I started the engine! Checked all the lights again and everything working as it should.

I called into the local garage as there were no Skoda or VAG dealers or even places like Halfords anywhere near. Explained situation and they said to change the replaced bulb I had fitted but they didn't have in stock the correct type so directed me to the independent motor factor they use. I explained the situation again and they were very helpful - the answer I got was that some brands of bulb don't seem to work consistently on cars fitted with monitoring systems. Bulb in spare bulb set was a 'Ring' P21/5W [original bulb was P21/4W but not branded]. He has seen this problem a number of times before on some VAG and Ford cars. They gave me a 'Lucas' P21/4W and after fitting everything working fine - a good result as I have had no problems since.

• 2 years later...

Some bulb failure warnings are caused by faulty or loose eathing connections to various light clusters or fittings.

If you consistently get warnings about a specific bulb and it appears to work fine, check the earthing points in the immediate area for tightness or corrossion.   I had random left rear fog bulb failure, and I found a loose slightly corroded earthing connection behind the left hand boot liner.  Cleaned this up and tightened the nut and all the bulb failures disappeared.  Bulb failures indicate a lack of current getting to a bulb, either because the bulb itself has failed or the connections cannot deliver the current to the bulb, either directly or returning via the earth connections.

• Like 1