Rough diesel startup

Hi guys, the past few mornings when starting my octavia its been a little rough and difficult to start. I dont have much experience with diesels but it sounds like its 'firing' just not getting up to rpm and starting. Once it starts though its absolutely fine. Its due a service which is coming at the end of the month so im curious as to whether I should be worried about a filter being blocked or plugs dying somewhere?

CTS, timing (has the belt been changed?), water in the fuel (how old/when was the fuel filer drained). Weak batteries can cause starting problems too.

I think the glowplugs just fire for a few seconds in the current temperature range we are in.

On the subject of "not getting up to speed", it might be worth checking the wiring to the starter motor as the cable/joints can corrode which adds resistance in the loop and reduces the power available. Check the fuses on the top of the battery too, ensure all the nuts are nipped up tight.

Thanks for the reply. When I turn the ignition on the battery light does come on until the car is started. I havent owned it long enough to know whether thats normal or not though!

Ill check the other points you mentioned tomorrow and i really should double check when the timing belt was last done.

This sounds like it's associated with the engine being "dead cold". When it fires first thing, does it sound more tappety than usual until the temperature guage moves? If so, then it's needing a service, and things might improve with fresh (and hence lower viscosity; this is entirely natural oil behaviour) oil.

Also, if you have a multimeter, check the battery voltage first thing and before leaving work, without having the engine running. If you get a higher voltage when leaving work, the battery may be on the way out. Also take note, my DIY level digital multimeter cost me about £10.

Thanks for the reply. When I turn the ignition on the battery light does come on until the car is started. I havent owned it long enough to know whether thats normal or not though!

That is quite normal, as the alternator isn't spinning and thus the battery isn't getting charged. You might see an orange glowplug light flash on for a second as turn the ignition on.

That is quite normal, as the alternator isn't spinning and thus the battery isn't getting charged. You might see an orange glowplug light flash on for a second as turn the ignition on.

Yeah I saw that too, I reasoned that as they went away once the engine started they were normal. Thats how the astra I drove previously worked.