Fuel Consumption Suddenly Worse

For the last two fill ups I've only achieved an indicated 44mpg on my regular morning commute up into the Peak District. Normally a consistent 48mpg. [i do check the overall tank to tank as well and that is consistent at 51mpg.]

Ambient temperature has been around 12°C in the mornings as against 22°C previously. Is it the lower ambient affecting the oil thickness or the dreaded winter blend DERV sneaking on to the market a bit early?

Yes, amazing. So much so that it actually replinishes the tank! I drive a perpetual motion machine ;)

Me too. Got a fuel warning light and gong the other day and by the time I got home a further 5 miles worth of fuel had been added. 60mpg achievable on the largely down hill route to Chesterfield.

Probably temp as diesels hate running in the cold they love it roasting hot, also time to look at an alternative winter oil? (just an idea)

I'm looking forward to having a petrol this winter the diesel BMW was a nightmare at -21deg lol "chug chug chug"

• 4 months later...

I'm now regularly getting 48 mpg overall . I've a feeling the Barum Bravusis 2 tyres have not helped the mpg but they were a lot cheaper than the Michelin Premacy.

Still can get over 60mpg on the homeward leg though. Not for long as the main roads on my commute have broken up and 'Thirteen Bends' will be closed for two weeks. The hilly and twisty diversion will sup the juice.