Alternator Click ? Help

Churchy-VRS

Good Afternoon Peeps,

My fabia Vrs 5/3 is playing up. The other week the battery light came on and with the Battery light flickering at me while a loud grinding noise was hurd. Then Everthing went back to normal.

But i have noticed with my head in the bonnet today that my alternator or alternator belt tensioner seems to be making a click or grinding sound now and again. Seems to do it more when its cold.

Are the any common problems with the alternators breaking down or any special parts that may breakdown.

My battery and alternator seem to be keeping charge and charging at the correct volts.

The Blue load sensing wire seems to be ok so im more looking into the alternator unit itself.

Any ideas would be greatful cheers...

Would anyone be able to tell me the sit of the spline adaptor required for the sprag clutch on the altinator.

been looking at these kits

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-sx401-alternator-freewheel-removal-set-13pc-p15815

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=15814&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base

cheers

I think either should work but the first one definitely will - it's the one I have.

One way to check the clutch is to try and rotate the fan blade bits within the alternator. If the clutch is OK they should rotate both ways, if they won't turn one way then the clutch is seized. However my turned both ways but when removed from the car it was obviously on the way out.

I think either should work but the first one definitely will - it's the one I have.

One way to check the clutch is to try and rotate the fan blade bits within the alternator. If the clutch is OK they should rotate both ways, if they won't turn one way then the clutch is seized. However my turned both ways but when removed from the car it was obviously on the way out.

Er no, the alternator clutch will only turn freely one way (against belt turn direction) and lock the other way.

Er no, the alternator clutch will only turn freely one way (against belt turn direction) and lock the other way.

Sorry brain disengaged there.

If it is seized then you won't be able to move it at all, otherwise it will turn one way.

When the engine is runnning and cold open the bonnet have a look at the tensioner, is still or is it vibrating? The chances are that the tensioner is worn from the effect of the duff alternator pulley. On my car it was the tensioner making the noise rather then the alternator.

When I changed mine you could feel the difference in the pulley, it freewheeled more easily when you moved the alternator by hand off the car.

• 1 month later...