Stereo stays on when key is out

Adhal

Aftermarket stereo fitted and it is wired up so that the stereo stays on when you take the key out and you can turn it on/off when the key is out. I have checked with a multimeter and I cant seem to find a 12v switched feed. Any ideas?

It you follow the cables from rear of hu red cable and yellow cable yow will find they both go to same cable coming from car. That lead is your permanent live the cable you are looking for in car loom is either red or yellow dependant on which one the wires are already connected to. If you want hu to switch off with key out the cables need to be connected red to yellow and yellow to red. Hope this helps

Brian

Following info. from Skoda, VW, Haynes, Pioneer, and personal experience! Use this as a guide only!! :yes:

There are two main DIN/ISO plugs on the OEM wiring loom for the stereo head unit, one has all the wiring for the speakers (Brown coloured and has the release clip in the centre of the side), the other all the power and control wiring (Black coloured and has the release clip offset on the side). Both of these conectors might be joined together, and just slid apart to seperate! There is also a third block (If you are luck enough to have it) which is for connecting the head unit to the OEM CD multi-player under the passenger seat.

THESE ARE THE COLOURS & PINS OF THE OEM SKODA WIRING LOOM TO CONNECT TO THE STEREO HEAD-UNIT

BLACK CONNECTOR (this has the release clip offset on the side)

8d/pin1 = White cable with Purple stripe = vehicle speed sensor (to increase volume with speed) OEM single DIN head-unit may not have a pin for this. (Pin function is correct with ISO)

8d/pin2 = vacant (This according to ISO is for the mute function of a connected telephone)

8d/pin3 = Grey cable with White stripe = VAG diagnostics through EOBD socket (DO NOT USE WITH NON OEM as 12v and can muck up your new head unit, especially if a diagnostic tool is connected!!! So disconnect from plug or cut and seal live end of wire) (This according to ISO is for the reversing light signal)

8d/pin4 = Brown cable with Red stripe = 12v switched supply with ignition (This according to ISO is for a 12v constant supply)

8d/pin5 = Black cable with Blue stripe = 12v constant supply to battery via Fuse No. 45 (20A) OEM single DIN head-unit does not have a pin for this, as this is to provide additional power for double DIN satnav unit. (This has on other VAG cars been a Brown cable with Red stripe = 12v switched supply with ignition) (This according to ISO is for the electric retractable aerial)

8d/pin6 = Grey cable with Blue stripe = dashboard illumination (Pin function is correct with ISO)

8d/pin7 = Black cable with Blue stripe = 12v constant supply to battery via Fuse No. 45 (20A). (This has on other VAG cars been a Red cable = 12v constant supply to battery via fuse No. ??) (This according to ISO is for a 12v switched supply with ignition)

8d/pin8 = Brown = Earth to E3 earthing point (Under the centre console in front of the gearstick) (Pin function is correct with ISO)

After reading through this, I tested the following pins of the black connector: pin 4, 7 and 8 and found there to be no 12v to pin 4 when ignition was on/off. The only way the stereo works is if the yellow wire is disconnected from the stereo loom and 'piggybacked' onto the red wire of the stereo loom. Any other combination such as your suggestion and the stereo has no power. I imagine the previous owner wired the car in this way as he had the same problem.

Edited by Adhal

• 5 months later...

Installed a Pioneer HU in my 1. gen Roomster yesterday.

The HU stays on when key is out, and I would like to change that.

Does anyone have a connection diagram or pictures to get i right?

I used ISO cables from ebay.

Edited by heineoen

Installed a Pioneer HU in my 1. gen Roomster yesterday.

The HU stays on when key is out, and I would like to change that.

Does anyone have a connection diagram or pictures to get i right?

I used ISO cables from ebay.

Does it loose it stored radio channels when you switch it off?

• 1 month later...

No, mermory of the HU works.

I saw the post above, but i don't know excately what he means?

QUOTE: "The only way the stereo works is if the yellow wire is disconnected from the stereo loom and 'piggybacked' onto the red wire of the stereo loom" - "Adhal"

Here are pictures of the wiering from a Roomster to the Pioneer HU.

20120428140158.jpg

20120428140142.jpg

Edited by heineoen