Remove door cards and carpet

Hi peeps

I need some guidance on how to remove the door cards and ther floor carpet in my vrs as I am fitting some sound deadening materials. I intend to fit silent coat dampening sheets and closed cell foam on top, to do away with some if the road noise , creaks and crashes.

Can any one advise

Thanks

With the carpet it its similar to the mk 1, if you take the seats out ...it should easily lift out. Door cards normally have a screw behind the door pull maybe some at the bottom....then give it a good brisk pull. The clips sometimes break so maybe buy some from your dealer before putting it back together.

If you can, try behind the dash aswell and boot floor!

Might save you waiting to put it together again :-)

Edited by Leon-y-k

Well , done all of the boot today , door cards tomorrow. I put the recommended 25% coverage of the butyl dampener well maybe more and tried for 100% coverage of closed cell foam , however this seemed impossible so managed 80-90% but just with the boot area done there is a significant reduction in road noise (did under rear pass seat also). Think I may leave the floor as there is sOme thick foam there so pointless really .

Just need to get door cards done tomorrow. As the road noice now seems to come from the doors and front foot well

What I also did was buy some extra anti slip padding to go under the floor matts, not only did it stop them sliding all over the place....I don't know how my friends always manage to kick the matts out of line!

But it makes a little difference and makes it a little deeper when you put your feet on the floor :-)

Cost was £80 for the silent coat dampening and £70 for the closed cell foam , what I will say though is I wish I got 3mm instead of 6mm as it's tight when re- fitting the panels.

Hopefully when complete tomorrow the sound from the speakers will be much better without any panel resonance.

job complete and the car feels more solid. You can really tell a difference with road noise, although not eradicated entirely there is a noticeable reduction of.

the doors feel more sturdy a lot more like the "it sounds like a Golf" advert :rofl: . Stereo is tonnes better and has quietened the ride down for motorways and rattles etc.

Sorry i didn't manage to take any pics but will try and take one of the boot. to give you an idea (after much research) i didn't cover every bit of the panels with Silent coat deaden-er but the best places like Bottom ,Top, and sides of the door panels , Boot floor wheel arches etc. as more that 20% coverage is a waste (apparently).

Now the close cell foam, i covered most of the boot and under rear seat. Door panels i covered sections direct to the plastic panels as there isn't much room behind them (go for 3mm to cover more wish i did). for just over £150 it is a Vast improvement.

The closed cell foam i used was some i had laying around called Armacel sheeting (used for air conditioning ducting) I also ordered some from a guy on ebay, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/self-adhesive-closed-cell-foam-sheets-soundproofing-/300604052999?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item45fd65d607

Go for the 3mm thickness though for space as my boot panels were tight. Although thinner wont have as good sound deadening properties you will be able to cover more area.