Radio Issues...

Hi Folks,

Looking for a little inspiration.

I recently replaced the Symphony headunit in my Octavia for a Sony Unit as the symphony was begining to fail.

As far as I can tell I have done everything correctly, the sony was installed using adaptors which fit straight into the skoda connections. The only remaining disconnected connector is from the boot 6 disc changer.

Anyhow the stereo starts and works perfectly when the car is on until you go to use the car again. Upon returning the clock will have reset and all the radio stations are no longer programmed etc.

As I understand there needs to be a permanent 12v connection to the radio, what I dont understand however is why when the correct adaptors have been used this isnt "automatically" present so to speak.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

There are two 12v feeds going to the radio, one is a permanent live which stores the code, stations, clock etc, the other is an ignition fed live that turns the radio on when the ignition is turned on.

On VAG cars these are the opposite way round to other marques, so you currently have no permanent live storing the memory stuff, what you need to do is to swap the two 12v feeds around.

I agree the adapter loom should be doing this but obviously it isn't.

There are two 12v feeds going to the radio, one is a permanent live which stores the code, stations, clock etc, the other is an ignition fed live that turns the radio on when the ignition is turned on.

On VAG cars these are the opposite way round to other marques, so you currently have no permanent live storing the memory stuff, what you need to do is to swap the two 12v feeds around.

I agree the adapter loom should be doing this but obviously it isn't.

Many thanks for the swift responce.

I dont suppose by an chance you know which colour of cable's relate to the 12v feeds?

I cant get a multimeter in the plug and dont fancy shaving the wires quite yet.

Many thanks for the swift responce.

I dont suppose by an chance you know which colour of cable's relate to the 12v feeds?

I cant get a multimeter in the plug and dont fancy shaving the wires quite yet.

12 vdc are the red and the yellow wires

The stereos own loom usually has a pair of bullet connectors

on the red and yellow wires anyway. Particularly if it's a sony

mine has.

Just switch 'em round. :thumbup:

On mine at least an adaptor wasn't necessary. :no:

Many thanks for all the help guys, really simple as always but I couldnt fathom it. Give me a complex equation ill have it done in minutes, car radio on the other hand...!

grr666 you were spot on the money mate. I went to the shed got the cutters and some spade and bullet connectors and was ready to chop everything to pieces... then I found this!

PA190394.jpg

Needless to say sorted.

Thanks again.

Many thanks for all the help guys, really simple as always but I couldnt fathom it. Give me a complex equation ill have it done in minutes, car radio on the other hand...!

grr666 you were spot on the money mate. I went to the shed got the cutters and some spade and bullet connectors and was ready to chop everything to pieces... then I found this!

PA190394.jpg

Needless to say sorted.

Thanks again.

My pleasure mate :thumbup:

Now all you need are some components up front some coaxes in the back and a sub in the boot and job done !

Haha. Not really my cup of tea to be honest!

Although I would quite like to improve the quality of the sound system. The speakers in my Volvo have so much more clarity and depth than the Skoda which is a little dissapointing considering the Volvo is seven years older.

Yeah mine isn't intrusive just crystal clear with good depth now

What sort of set up are you using? Could you reccommend anything. Preferably I dont want to have a sub in the boot just better speakers in place of the existing ones.

Well as always in this world you get what you pay for. I have Alpine 16.5 cm type R components up front and Alpine 13.5 cm type R coaxe in the rear. Fronts about £170 rears about £135 they fit straight into existing locations without any modifications and are unseen sound is awesome but to be honest they need amplification and can't be run from the head unit alone. Cobalt 4 channel would be a good choice at about £119 and can be hidden out of sight. All depends what you are after really ?