Wheel Trims

I'm putting steelies on with winter tyres but have just been amazed at how expensive the genuine Skoda wheel trims are from the dealer. Where might I find some 16" wheel trims that actually look acceptable but don't cost 2 arms and 2 legs?

I'm putting steelies on with winter tyres but have just been amazed at how expensive the genuine Skoda wheel trims are from the dealer. Where might I find some 16" wheel trims that actually look acceptable but don't cost 2 arms and 2 legs?

How much are they? I'm expecting to take delivery over the winter and may decide on winter tyres for the first time.

How much are they? I'm expecting to take delivery over the winter and may decide on winter tyres for the first time.

Dealer man called me yesterday to say the wheels are ready for collection with Conti TS830 tyres that will be cheaper than expected.

£599 all in. Contis must be on special offer this week compared with Dunlops.

eBay is your only hope, this is what swung me into buying alloys, by the time you add the cost of trims they actually cost more than a set of alloys (if you et some at the 'right' price)

Aesthetically it's bad enough putting smaller 16" wheels on, please don't then dress them with cheap wheel trims.

Cough up for the genuine ones, if they are on the car for up to 5 months of the year it'll be worth the investment.

I actually prefer the look of an undressed steel wheel rather than a cheap eBay trim!

A set here for £65...

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Octaviia_A5_06%3E_16%22_Wheel_Trim_Set_CDB600001

Edited by silver1011

^^^^ + £9 P&P = just shy of £74 - for wheel trims FFS!!

I can understand people running steel wheels WHEN they are cheaper, but to buy new ones and pay more than alloy's (when you include trims) is beyond me.

^^^^ + £9 P&P = just shy of £74 - for wheel trims FFS!!

I can understand people running steel wheels WHEN they are cheaper, but to buy new ones and pay more than alloy's (when you include trims) is beyond me.

I agree £74 is a bit steep for trims. But so is £30 or so per trim from Mr Skoda. I have bought eBay alloys in the past and had them refurbished and fitted with winter tyres so I find it hard to think that new or used alloys can be purchased for less than new steelies.

I find it hard to think that new or used alloys can be purchased for less than new steelies.

Well you have seen the link in the "Winter shoes" thread

So £700 delivered for the buy it now price .... or £640 delivered if you phone him up (I also got the £25 delivery charge refunded because of a issue with TNT - the wheels and tyres are however in perfect condition, but that was simply an bonus for sorting the couriers 'issue' out) for a set of brand new genuine BBS Audi winter alloys and premium brand tyres (RRP £1,056) this is BTW from a VW dealer.

compared to your quote:

£680 (poster price) for new steel wheels and Conti TS830 tyres from your local dealer (minus and discount you can get??) + £74 - £120 for a set of genuine Skoda wheel trims.... (= £754 - £800) your choice really, but I know what I went for :thumbup:.

I also appreciate you may not of seen the Audi wheels and tyres, which is why I posted the link to them for anyone else in our position.

Granted, neither of the above are a 'cheap' option and can no doubt be beaten if you buy some good cheap wheels - last year I bought:

5x Audi alloys,in need of a refurb (£100)

had them refurbished (£100)

Nokian WR G2's (delivered) from mytyres (£310)

plus fitting (£40)

Fuel for getting the wheels powdercoated and tyres fitted (£40)

So all for just short of £600, but as you say I had the hassle of getting all the above done, I did however start in August so I had no rush. - the tyres are however £30+ more to buy now, so I made saving over the new Audi/BBS alloys and tyres - but only just, given a choice though I would of bough the Nokian's again :thumbup:

i think my wheels were about £300 (absolute bargain from your good friends at eBay!) and they are Brand new, Genuine, Skoda Luxon 18"

I fitted them (Last year) with 225/40/18 Wintrac Xtreme's - around £120 ea.

So, i spent £500 on Tyres (inc post from Camskill) and £300 on wheels + £40 fitting

= £840 approx.

Keeping the look of the car, with phenomenal winter tyres.

Al.

Aesthetically it's bad enough putting smaller 16" wheels on, please don't then dress them with cheap wheel trims.

Cough up for the genuine ones, if they are on the car for up to 5 months of the year it'll be worth the investment.

I actually prefer the look of an undressed steel wheel rather than a cheap eBay trim!

A set here for £65...

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/product/Octaviia_A5_06%3E_16%22_Wheel_Trim_Set_CDB600001

OMG...these trims look bleedin' 'orrible. Prefer the ebay trims by a mile

. . . . . Prefer the ebay trims by a mile

I think I'll be going for some flea bay trims too. Reasonable choice, inc. some dark ones too.

My winter tyre experiences so far:

4x 16" Conti TS830 tyres from Click Fit in November 2010 (fitted) = £365

Used on a Volvo V50 through the 2010 - 2011 winter, then stored in garage for this winter

4x used 16" Audi alloys this summer from flea bay (delivered) = £200

Alloys were in pretty good condition, but I got local alloy wheel emporium to re-coat them a nice dark grey colour and re-fit my old Contis = £200

These will be used on my better half's new Golf as soon as frost shows up.

4x 16" Skoda steelies complete with new Conti TS830 for my Superb = £599

Wheel trims to be purchased, probably £30 to £40, so I'm happy to have (all-new) rims + top notch tyres on my car for around £640 tops.

Be glad you aren't in Ireland, originally had 16" wheels, and lost one hubcap. €56 a piece from Skoda Ireland. That work out at €224 for a set of hubcaps. Changed to alloys, they might buckle a bit but at least they don't fly off when you hit a pothole, and aren't too far off that mark to replace.

• 1 month later...

Well you have seen the link in the "Winter shoes" thread

So £700 delivered for the buy it now price .... or £640 delivered if you phone him up (I also got the £25 delivery charge refunded because of a issue with TNT - the wheels and tyres are however in perfect condition, but that was simply an bonus for sorting the couriers 'issue' out) for a set of brand new genuine BBS Audi winter alloys and premium brand tyres (RRP £1,056) this is BTW from a VW dealer.

compared to your quote:

£680 (poster price) for new steel wheels and Conti TS830 tyres from your local dealer (minus and discount you can get??) + £74 - £120 for a set of genuine Skoda wheel trims.... (= £754 - £800) your choice really, but I know what I went for :thumbup:.

I also appreciate you may not of seen the Audi wheels and tyres, which is why I posted the link to them for anyone else in our position.

Granted, neither of the above are a 'cheap' option and can no doubt be beaten if you buy some good cheap wheels - last year I bought:

5x Audi alloys,in need of a refurb (£100)

had them refurbished (£100)

Nokian WR G2's (delivered) from mytyres (£310)

plus fitting (£40)

Fuel for getting the wheels powdercoated and tyres fitted (£40)

So all for just short of £600, but as you say I had the hassle of getting all the above done, I did however start in August so I had no rush. - the tyres are however £30+ more to buy now, so I made saving over the new Audi/BBS alloys and tyres - but only just, given a choice though I would of bough the Nokian's again :thumbup:

Fitted them yesterday for anyone interested in what they look like:

Audi BBS 'Abitos'? winter wheels (7"x16" ET42)

DSC01386.jpg

Audi A6 5 spokes (7"x16" ET45) fitted to SWMBO's Golf - these were my 'old' winter tyres and wheels that I fitted to the Superb last year:

DSC01388.jpg

Fitted to the Superb (when Baker21 detailed the car):

DSC09089.jpg

For winter wheels it is actually better NOT to have trims. Sludge and snow do not get in behind the trim, and the wheel stays in balance better. Also, salt is washed out faster, and changing the wheel is easier (trims often break if you try to remove them in the cold).

The only thing I do is to either spray with nigrin (or grease with Castrol CL) the driveshaft bolt faces and the rear bearing covers, and wheel bolt heads. Every 3-4 years I also coat wheels with Nigrin as eventually salt does go through the enamel.

Edited by dieselV6