turbo trubble

hi posted on ere before about my skoda tdi turbo cutting out under load , took it to small engines in nottingham for dianostics told me its the turbo everything else is bang on , said its the viens in turbo sticking is there anything u can spray on turbo to free it

The only proper solution is to take the turbo off and clean it. I have been there before.

Once cleaned, ensured you n75/good vacuum, and thet actuator moves full travel on the turbo. Also might be worth considering a catch can and maybe adjusting the EGR levels (or even blanking it off).

I cleaned mine up in Jan 2010, and it has remained fine since (with nearly another 30k under her belt since then).

I'm still having the same problem also...My mechanic told Me there's nearly a full days labour alone involved in the removing,cleaning,and re-fitting of the Turbo.

So,,while I weigh up if I can afford to go that route....I'm also thinking of this method...

http://www.vwcaddy.com/showthread.php?t=51079

My mechanic is reading over it this weekend to work out if it's worth a shot.

I'd be interested in some feedback from others here as to what they think of it.

I took my own turbo off. It is not hard work, I did it over a weekend, so I had plenty of time and did not rush anything. I replaced all my gaskets however:

- exhaust

- oil return

- manifolds

If you remove the turbo then it can have a proper clean and you *know* it is proper clean anything else is just a gamble.

I took my own turbo off. It is not hard work, I did it over a weekend, so I had plenty of time and did not rush anything. I replaced all my gaskets however:

- exhaust

- oil return

- manifolds

If you remove the turbo then it can have a proper clean and you *know* it is proper clean anything else is just a gamble.

Sadly,,as We have 4 school going kids,,the weekend option is just not there...I just can't do without the car,,so it would need to be done same day at the very least.

That's why I was looking at the other option.

Glad it worked out for you though,,mbames.

How about hiring a car for a few days? You can still do a proper job on the turbo and not have the deadline/pressure of sorting the car in just a single day.

How about hiring a car for a few days? You can still do a proper job on the turbo and not have the deadline/pressure of sorting the car in just a single day.

I honestly wouldn't be able to afford that...

My Wife is just after starting up her own business,so things need to be kept on a leash for a while...

Thanks for the idea though..

I suspect the hire costs of a car for a few days are lower than your mechanic for a few hours, but its your call! Hope you get it sorted.

Sadly,car hire over here is Not cheap. But My mechanic is an "indie",,so he's not that expensive...Not as dear as hiring a car anyway.

Yeah,,it would be great to have it sorted..It's a very annoying problem...I can't "trust" the car,with regards to overtaking or anything like that.

I'll get it sorted,,it'll just take a small bit more time.

Thanks for everything.

Hi, i'm no expert mechanic but I have just done my turbo. Had sticking vanes. Took it out by removing the inlet manifold and then exhaust manifold. it is actually very easy to do and cleaning the turbo is also easy. As mbames says though you do need to renew all relevant gaskets. Car is now like new.